What I See As Benefit To Class Wrestling

1oldwrestler

Why change a good thing I think Indiana Wrestling is great right now,do you disagree? Cali is much larger  than most of the states they still have a 1 class system it is great, pull up the attendence of the states with class wrestling and without see the difference. I just do not see the point in changing a good thing there is alot of quality wrestlers going to college. That is the main goal do well in highschool and go to college( Everyone can't be a state champ), I guess they could if you split it up into multiple classes.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sayign the wrestlers would perfer an individual state title and the coaches who want their top level wrestlers to face the best competition should also.  The top level kids especially those in smaller school have a harder time facing tough compitition throughout the year so it is benificial to all the atheletes to have a whole field of the state instead of splitting the talent pool.  I never said there would be chaos but it would hurt the sport i think were on the verge of loosing something great in our sport and the state doesn't want it.

I am sayign the wrestlers would perfer an individual state title and the coaches who want their top level wrestlers to face the best competition should also.  The top level kids especially those in smaller school have a harder time facing tough compitition throughout the year so it is benificial to all the atheletes to have a whole field of the state instead of splitting the talent pool.  I never said there would be chaos but it would hurt the sport i think were on the verge of loosing something great in our sport and the state doesn't want it.

90% of the coaches did want it the last time it was brought up for a vote.

Why change a good thing I think Indiana Wrestling is great right now,do you disagree? Cali is much larger  than most of the states they still have a 1 class system it is great, pull up the attendence of the states with class wrestling and without see the difference. I just do not see the point in changing a good thing there is alot of quality wrestlers going to college. That is the main goal do well in highschool and go to college( Everyone can't be a state champ), I guess they could if you split it up into multiple classes.

Its a good thing for whom?

As a fan our state finals is really cool and I love the atmosphere.  As a person who is competitive by nature, I love the challenge to go against the grain and get kids to state and have them place at state.

As someone that wants to have this sport around for my kids in 15 years, I see it dying at the levels where it used to be strong.  As a coach who sees the uphill battle it is every single day at a small school vs. a big school, I see the sport limiting kids and in the long run hurting the future possible coaches, referees, fans and parents.

As far as attendance, I know that when Garrett played at regional in football a few years ago they took three charter buses across the state for the game.  I know this year at the girl's basketball semi-state we had numerous fans go to Elkhart to support the girl's basketball team.  The same for the boy's basketball team that went to regional.  I also saw this year at the Colesium when 56 more kids qualified for semi-state the biggest crowd I have EVER seen there.  I don't think adding one class and 224 more state qualifiers would hurt the attendance to the state finals or other levels of the tournament.

I see the sport growing what was the # of kids wrestling at folkstyle ,freestyle and or Greco 10 years ago and whats the #'s today? It might be me but I see alot more younger kids wrestling now from when I was a kid ,So whoever decides these things you are doing a great job do not change a thing!

Title 9 means if you get rid of a boys sport you have to get rid of a girls.  Thus the reason why wrestling is being cut is because the communities do not support them.  If the community doesn't support them classing the sport still won't help them.  I think wrestling would be better if we sent volunteers from community to community and spoke of regional training centers and things on that level.  Get involved on small scales to help instead of changing a system that still won't help the issue.

Title 9 means if you get rid of a boys sport you have to get rid of a girls.  Thus the reason why wrestling is being cut is because the communities do not support them.  If the community doesn't support them classing the sport still won't help them.  I think wrestling would be better if we sent volunteers from community to community and spoke of regional training centers and things on that level.  Get involved on small scales to help instead of changing a system that still won't help the issue.

Great point!

I see the sport growing what was the # of kids wrestling at folkstyle ,freestyle and or Greco 10 years ago and whats the #'s today? It might be me but I see alot more younger kids wrestling now from when I was a kid ,So whoever decides these things you are doing a great job do not change a thing!

I see that our state association adapted and got a folkstyle season going, something that was not around when I was in school.  They also started the season during the winter, so they did not conflict with spring sports like baseball that many young kids participate in.  I know that I remember being at a tournament in Huntington that had over 1000 kids there, you NEVER see tournaments of that size anymore unless its the state finals.

I will pull out my old ISWA books and see how much of a different there is though. 

I see that our state association adapted and got a folkstyle season going, something that was not around when I was in school.  They also started the season during the winter, so they did not conflict with spring sports like baseball that many young kids participate in.  I know that I remember being at a tournament in Huntington that had over 1000 kids there, you NEVER see tournaments of that size anymore unless its the state finals.

I will pull out my old ISWA books and see how much of a different there is though. 

Thanks!! I would like to see the #s

I agree i think the number of kids doing freestyle has went down which also plays to the same teams having success year in year out......some programs are getting more into summer wrestling again but thats where indiana high school teams have had success before and what will show in the future!

There are huge numbers doing folkstyle now, especially at the youth level.  The number of youth at the freestyle and greco tournaments is dropping drastically, but I would attribute it to the fact they can get the wrestling season in during the winter instead of the spring.

When I was in high school, 12 years ago we didn't have offseason folkstyle tournaments and the offseason didn't start until after the high school season was over.  Now there are tournaments the same weekend as semi-state and even team state.

I think having kids wrestle all 3 teaches them something though.......i was horrible at greco because i didnt like to throw but my coach had us do all 3 because if you needed that throw what were you going to do. But wrestling freestyle used to be my fav. because the action. Its much faster paced most of the time because of most the time spent on your feet it helped when i got to high school with takedowns.

I think before any descisions are made they need to talk to wrestlers like Howe and others that would've been in the small division ,would his 3 titles of meant as much? Or the fact Mater Dei would really dominate, I could understand the team side of it but individual it sounds like to me there is no confidence in the kids you always want the best compition,maybe these coaches need to prepare for the end of the year and yes it takes the coaches bringing the community aboard, get the kids going early. Small teams have dominated for years Mater Dei is a small team right, Just prepare the wrestlers as best as possible and keep it movin

I think before any descisions are made they need to talk to wrestlers like Howe and others that would've been in the small division ,would his 3 titles of meant as much? Or the fact Mater Dei would really dominate, I could understand the team side of it but individual it sounds like to me there is no confidence in the kids you always want the best compition,maybe these coaches need to prepare for the end of the year and yes it takes the coaches bringing the community aboard, get the kids going early. Small teams have dominated for years Mater Dei is a small team right, Just prepare the wrestlers as best as possible and keep it movin

Andrew Howe's success had NOTHING to do with how the Indiana state tournament was ran.  The same goes for Reece Humphrey, Alex Tsirtsis, and Angel Escobedo.

I just wanna see wrestling be higher than 6th placed on the national high school participants list  :(

But maybe its not cuz of class/classless wrestling....

Maybe its becuz you cant go professional with wrestling and make it a career (no i do not mean that WWE crap)

Or maybe that wrestling is the most hardcore sport that asks alot out of an individual

Its easy for someone to go out for basketball or football becuz they can rely on others to help them win

In wrestling, its you alone out there on the mat.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.