Which school has had the best team from the region?

Fuse2009

I was just wondering who people thought had the best team to ever come out of Northwest Indiana? I know CP just won Team State but how do they match up against other teams from the region who have gone to Team State ???

This year's CP team was probably the best that I remeber (back to mid 90's)...

Hobart had a really good team 98-99 I think. They gave up some bonus points to MD at the end of a meet they probably should have won. MD went on to beat Bellmont pretty easily

I heard of the Hobart team but have no idea of who was on it? I would have thought that maybe one of the Portage teams or Griffith (2003) team would give CP all that they could handle or maybe even beat them. What was Hobart's line-up?

This year's CP team was probably the best that I remeber (back to mid 90's)...

Hobart had a really good team 98-99 I think.  They gave up some bonus points to MD at the end of a meet they probably should have won.  MD went on to beat Bellmont pretty easily

That Hobart vs. MD duel meet was nuts.  I thought Hobart had it.  Didn't one of their bigger guys get hit with like 2 stalling calls in the last 10 sec. to lose the match and if he won it would of clinched the win for Hobart?   I remember MD made a highlight tape of that state finals,  if anyone has it can they post it because it was kinda neat

Evansville Mater Dei 33, Hobart 30

103 -- Manuel Rodriguez (H) dec. Bob Ausbrooks (EMD), 2-1.

112 -- Ryan Storey (H) dec. Matt Adler (EMD), 8-3.

119 -- Alexander Ramos (H) dec. Eli Todich (EMD), 22-5, disqualification, 5:58.

125 -- Wes Goodpaster (H) pinned Mike Conkling (EMD), 2:19.

130 -- Chad Martin (EMD) dec. Josh Felty (H), 9-7.

135 -- Chad Raben (EMD), Rick Rayner (H), 2-1.

140 -- Neil Reddington (EMD) pinned John Felty (H), 3:21.

145 -- Frank DeBusk (H) pinned Dan Jankowski (EMD), 1:10.

152 -- Joe Hurst (H) pinned Eric Dewig (EMD), 4:49.

160 -- Nick Miller (EMD) dec. John Cantu (H), 8-3.

171 -- Tony Unfried (EMD) dec. Nicholas Benzce (H), 6-5.

189 -- Ryan King (EMD) dec. Dustin Weber (H), 9-5.

215 -- Kevin Alvey (EMD) pinned John Walsh (H), 1:21.

275 -- David Hisch (EMD) pinned Trent Overturf (H), 3:21.

145 -- Frank DeBusk (H) pinned Dan Jankowski (EMD), 1:10 big fall there!

I do remember that Hobart team and it was pretty awesome. They definitely should have won that year. Portage has obviously had a few over the years. But CP is the only team to go down to Indy and actually get the job done, therefore my vote goes to them.

Not taking anything away from this years CP team but i honestly think last years was better on paper.. this years had tsirtsis though.

103 Hawkins SQ 3rd Now 1st

112 Shurg SQ

119 Fennell SQ

125 Manes SSQ lost to a tough harper and brooks in the ticket round both years

130 Roach 2nd 4th this year

135 Flamme SSQ

140 Mohammad SSQ

145 Conway 2x SQ 3rd

152 Pogo

160 Myers 5th

171 Szymborski 5th

189 Shrewsbury 7th 2nd now 1st

215 Bakalik SQ this year

285 Childress SSQ

I think this team just couldnt get it down when it counted. Where as, this years team matured and finally made the big step. IMO

103- Halsted vs Adame

112- Hawkins vs Wynn

119- Manes vs Jose

125- Tsirtsis vs Angel

130- Schurg vs Hernandez

135- Roach vs Alex

140- Flamme vs Lynn

145-Renne vs Lewis

152- Pogorzelski vs Kerita

160- Meyers vs Raduski

171- Kooi vs Lam Chi

189- Shrewsbury vs Martin

215- Bakalik vs Duffy

Hwt- Marshall vs Cavazos

I think this would have also been a good dual.  ;D

103- Halsted vs Adame

112- Hawkins vs Wynn

119- Manes vs Jose

125- Tsirtsis vs Angel

130- Schurg vs Hernandez

135- Roach vs Alex

140- Flamme vs Lynn

145-Renne vs Lewis

160- Meyers vs Raduski

171- Kooi vs Lam Chi

215- Bakalik vs Duffy

Hwt- Marshall vs Cavazos

03 Griffith would win this one.!

103- Halsted vs Adame

112- Hawkins vs Wynn

119- Manes vs Jose

125- Tsirtsis vs Angel

130- Schurg vs Hernandez

135- Roach vs Alex

140- Flamme vs Lynn

145-Renne vs Lewis

160- Meyers vs Raduski

171- Kooi vs Lam Chi

215- Bakalik vs Duffy

Hwt- Marshall vs Cavazos

03 Griffith would win this one.!

I disagree. CP would win at 103, 112, 140, 145, 152, 160, 189, 215, and Hwt. Plus, CP would score more bonus point wins.  Angel and Alex would probably win, but they would be regular decisions. Therefore, CP would win the dual. I wonder if Alex and Jason Tsirtsis have already had this debate.? Haha! I would love to be around for that one.

I'm sorry but Adame would beat Halsted (hands down). Also I think Kerita beats Pogorzelski. I think the toss up would be at 140 and if CP could get bonus points at 145,215,Hwt. But I agree with you about wanting to be around to hear Jason & Alex discuss the topic. I am so proud that a team from the region brought home the team title. WAY TO GO BULLDOGS  :);):D ;D 8) :-*

How about the 04' Portage team that dethroned EMD and then lost a close one to Lawerence North!

Talk about a stacked team.

Have to agree with you. One champ, four placers and three qualifiers.  If I remember correctly, they lost to LN by two points and two matches were lost in overtime.  I know, woulda shoulda coulda but LN lineup in 04' and 05' was a buzzsaw!

This is a tough question since CP just won a Team State Title. But the Region has had a bunch of Great teams who were close to winning Titles but ran in to some Tough teams. Portage has had some great teams 2000, 1998, 2004. Hobarts 1999 team was great, Lowell 2000. Merrillville 05,06 Griffith 03. all great teams.

That was a very good Hobart team from top to bottom. If I recall correctly, they had to scramble to find a 215 after the starter suffered a season ending injury late in the year? 10 of those guys from that lineup were state qualifiers at one point in their careers. Even the guys who weren't state qualifiers were dangerous. Guys like Hurst and Rayner owned plenty of wins over well known wreslters. I recall Rayner knocking off Fred Joseph in a meet at Hobart. Frankie Debusk was very dangerous and was capable of pinning anyone. He placed 5th at state that year and had several big wins via the controversial "slop drop" move he used to use. Weber was a 2 time placer as was Rodriguez. Cantu placed 7th or 8th that year. Ramos was a 3 timer. Definitely the best Hobart team ever.

That was a very good Hobart team from top to bottom. If I recall correctly, they had to scramble to find a 215 after the starter suffered a season ending injury late in the year? 10 of those guys from that lineup were state qualifiers at one point in their careers. Even the guys who weren't state qualifiers were dangerous. Guys like Hurst and Rayner owned plenty of wins over well known wreslters. I recall Rayner knocking off Fred Joseph in a meet at Hobart. Frankie Debusk was very dangerous and was capable of pinning anyone. He placed 5th at state that year and had several big wins via the controversial "slop drop" move he used to use. Weber was a 2 time placer as was Rodriguez. Cantu placed 7th or 8th that year. Ramos was a 3 timer. Definitely the best Hobart team ever.

Ramos was a 2 timer.  He took fifth his sophomore year.  Freshman year got beat up by some guy named Vega.

Frankie Debusk was very dangerous and was capable of pinning anyone. He placed 5th at state that year and had several big wins via the controversial "slop drop" move he used to use.

Wow!!!!

That was a blast from the past, I remember he used to hit that move on anybody.

The team regional at C.P that year remains to be one of the most exciting duals I've ever seen, packed house, and alot of energy.

If I'm not mistaken a freshman Ryan Storey upset Mike Chandler at 112, to this day I have not felt that much energy in a gym during a dual meet, there had to be 1,500+ in the old C.P gym.

That Hobart team was stacked, Although I think they lacked the huge firepower that 09' CP team has, they certainley have more depth.

My opinion is probably biased, but my vote goes to 09' C.P, not only because they were the only team to bring home the hardware, but I truly believe they were better.

04' Portage is a close second.

103- Halsted vs Adame

112- Hawkins vs Wynn

119- Manes vs Jose

125- Tsirtsis vs Angel

130- Schurg vs Hernandez

135- Roach vs Alex

140- Flamme vs Lynn

145-Renne vs Lewis

160- Meyers vs Raduski

171- Kooi vs Lam Chi

215- Bakalik vs Duffy

Hwt- Marshall vs Cavazos

CP would have to do some bumping to pull this one out.

They match up really bad to Griffith head to head, but If they moved some people around they would pull it out, Griffith had some weak spots that they could exploit.

that hobart team was sick but they would not have beat cathedral had mike shaw made weight . they beat chs 31-30 . the 103 chs put in was a fresh with a 0-8 record and he almost won .

The score of the meet was 31-27 and Manny majored the 103 13-0. A decision the other way would still have won it for Cath. but thats not a gaurantee. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.