PARITY IN THE FINAL FOUR

azcoach

Parity breeds the highest level of competition.  We saw that yesterday. 

We saw teams who no one gave a chance to be competitve prove the nay sayers wrong. 

We saw "locks" picked and dreams realized.  We also saw dreams dashed. 

I think the fans of wrestling in the state of Indiana got the very best yesterday, and I think the sport will be better off for it in the years to come. 

One recommendation to the IHSAA - WRESTLEBACKS in the team tourney please!

Give us our final top 8 as decided on the mat.  The kids have earned the right to know where they placed.

Wrestle backs at the team tournament?  Really?  I think that everyone is pretty battered and burned out by this time.  Once you lose, it seems that everyone is pretty happy to have made it to the team state meet and walk away clean.  I doubt that too many teams would be willing to wrestle additional matches just to decide the difference between say 6th and 8th place.  Just don't see it, and I don't think fans would want to stay longer to see it either.  It was a great year for all eight teams!  Congratulations to Crown Point.  After the performance last week at individual State meet, it is only fair that this team walks away declaring themselves team champs.

congrats to crown point !! great job !! i think team state should be cut down to 4 teams which is evident after yesterday . perry is no way the second best team in the state . period . it should have been mish , cath , perry , and cp  in no particular order . seed those 4 and then wrestle .

If the top 4 were seeded based on win loss records wouldn't it have been Mish, CP Perry and Cathedral? Mish would have had Cathedral 1st anyway. The only difference would have been Cathedral with a 2nd place finish instead of 3rd.       

If the top 4 were seeded based on win loss records wouldn't it have been Mish, CP Perry and Cathedral? Mish would have had Cathedral 1st anyway. The only difference would have been Cathedral with a 2nd place finish instead of 3rd.        

didnt cathedral beat perry or am i mistaken?

CP's lost to Mishawaka previously. 

Perry Meridian had lost only to Mishawaka and Cathedral earlier this season. 

so if PM lost to Cathedral that would make PM the 4. so it would have been MHS and PM in the 1 v 4 and most likely a Mish CP final

so if PM lost to Cathedral that would make PM the 4. so it would have been MHS and PM in the 1 v 4 and most likely a Mish CP final

Uh Castle?

Uh Castle?

BB...No worries...We all know there is no world to them outside their little bubble.    ;)

Cathedral was the team to beat in the upper bracket yesterday and Crown Point did just that.  The Irish beat the regeining Team Champs and took Crown Point to a 4 point dual meet. 

The Bulldogs earned their victory yesterday.  Cathedral wrestled VERY well also.

Now...Watch them boo and berate this post...

If you attended the Team State yesterday, then you know that it was probably the most competitive Team State field EVER.  All 4 of the semifinalists were strong enough to take the title home.  And you could add Mishawaka into the mix if they still had Beck going at 112 & Harper at full strength.

Here is my opinion on some of the unsolicited advice on how to change the tourney.

1) Don't cut the Team State from 8 to 4.  And don't seed the teams. 

The IHSAA made a good change by cutting back on one level of the tourney.  The Team Regionals were held in early February so the kids could focus on the Individual tourney for 3 weeks.  All 8 of those teams deserved to make it to State & from a fans' perspective, the Quarterfinal round is exciting to watch with 4 matches going at once.  Blind draw is used in every other IHSAA Team Sport Tourney.  Sure, some teams get a tough draw & others may get an easy draw but it's better than seeding the teams & then having a huge debate over how unfair the seeding is!

2) No wrestlebacks.  I was there all day yesterday & watched the Cathedral & Castle kids after their heartbreaking losses.  Do you really think they wanted to beat the crap out of each other for 3rd place???  Heck no.  It would've been a JV match with a few Varsity guys sprinkled in.  Same goes for the depressed Mishawaka kids after they got upset by Cathdral.  There's no point in having these kids beat each other up for 7th place after a very long season.

3) Hell yes, Perry Meridian deserved that runner-up trophy.  They beat a solid Bellmont squad & then made a fantastic comeback to shock a damn good Castle team.  Castle whipped Mater Dei...Perry beat Castle...that means Perry is damn good too.  Granted, Cathedral had the toughest draw in the field this year but that's just the way it goes.  In 2 of the past 3 seasons, Perry drew the eventual champ in the Quarterfinal round & lost real close duals.

Here's my only recommendation to the IHSAA & Indiana wrestling fans out there.  Let's find a way to get more fans in the stands!  There were THREE Indy-area schools at Team State this year & there were still far too many open seats at Center Grove.  $8 to watch the best teams in the state battle in 7 great duals is a bargain.   

I agree, I was surprised at the amount of open seats. I think there were more people there in year's past. Maybe that has to do with Mater Dei not being there with its huge following, or the way the economy is, or a little of both. I think more wrestling fans in general should have went, not just fans of the eight teams, because it was one heck of a tourney. Probably the most exciting matches I've ever witnessed, especially the semifinal round with both matches coming down to the last match. I am going to make it a point to attend the Team State from now on if possible even if my team isn't there.

I thought it was awesome and the way the fans and teams got behind it was great.  Now I love the individual tournament, but this one was great since there was not a bad seat in the house and afterwards you could walk down on the floor to get a close up view of the celebration.  I too will be back it was a great day.

Thanks to all the teams and coaches that was at Team State this weekend. That was the best wrestling I have seen in a long time. Congrats to all the teams involved, all of the teams that was there was definately worthy of being there. CP what a program great job!! I had all faith in our boys going into the finals, but with a line-up like CP has got it is very hard to top that. Bellmont,Castle Great job as well you both are amazing programs. Roncalli is just getting started great job coaches Lance Ellis and Robert Miller they take great pride in there program, what a turn around from 3 years ago. And Thanks to Perry coaching staff and wrestlers for an amazing year!!

For those that was not there this weekend you missed a hell of a show from start to finish looking foward to next year already!

Again Thanks to everyone from the fans to the wrestlers for a unforgetable weekend 

The people who suggested to do away with Team State should of been there this weekend. What a show. That is exactly why Team State should stay!!   

The tournament was usually a coronation, but now it is a competition.  The coronation was boring while the competition is anything but.

I disagree MD had some real battles in the late 90's the 97 team had a hell of a quarter final match W/ Carmel and a couple of years later it was MD and Hobart in a NAIL BITER. The MD Mishawaka matches the last 2 years were pretty competitive. Maybe the brackets were a little lopsided in the past but still great competition.

Well, usually it wasn't that close.  Was it?  I don't mean it was never close, but usually it wasn't.

Well' not usually I'm just saying it wasn't a cake walk either. I know that Suturday was exciting, most people are looking at the semi-finals for this year, so we had 2 real close matches, well, I'd say we had two or three real close matches in most of the state finals in the past, it just wasn't in the semis. BUT..... I have seen some boring team states as well.

I can only speak to what I saw last weekend.  I do know that there have been teams that have been present in virtually every Team State Tourney since it was started in Indiana.  A great accomplishment for the teams of course, but over all it is not all that great for the sport as a whole.

No one is saying these teams have anything to apologize for.  They should be commended for their ability to maintain the excellence they have achieved.

If I am reading the program from Saturday correctly there were 4 teams who made their first appearance in this event. 

That is incredible! 

I would have to say that the issue of parity is clearly a good thing.  The more teams that see the opportunity to compete for the Team Title the more kids that take the chance to wrestle.  Honestly if one or two teams win year in and year out then interest wanes and participation drops. 

There will always be dominant programs and teams that are potential champions, but the beauty of Wrestling is that nothing is etched in stone.  In 40 plus years around the sport I have seen dominant teams in many states.  The one thing that seems to always occur is parity returns and the sport is stronger for it.  Other teams become the dominant forces until parity is returned.

Just another way Wrestling is Life.

Well, usually it wasn't that close.  Was it?  I don't mean it was never close, but usually it wasn't.

Well' not usually I'm just saying it wasn't a cake walk either. I know that Suturday was exciting, most people are looking at the semi-finals for this year, so we had 2 real close matches, well, I'd say we had two or three real close matches in most of the state finals in the past, it just wasn't in the semis. BUT..... I have seen some boring team states as well.

Honestly there wasn't a bad dual all day.  Sure a couple of the scores don't seem to indicate it, but those duals were wrestled much better than the score indicates. 

I hate to say it but the general feeling I got from the people I talked to was they were very happy about the new blood in the tourney and the crowd seemed to be REALLY into the days event.  4 out of the 8 teams were new to the tourney and I believe they all represented their regionals very well. 

The crowd size decreased after each round, as expected if you consider the drive time many of the fans had to make the event.  As for the energy in the gym, if you didn't seen the Castle - Perry dual, you missed some great crowd participation!  All the Gold T-Shirts in the stands sent chills up my spine when I walked in!  It was a sight I can't describe.

The Perry fans were just as dedicated and it turned into a barn burner of a dual I am sure the state will not soon forget.

In the first round, the Mishawaka - Cathedral dual was off the hook!  The crowds were NUTS.  The Perry - Belmont dual had a ton of fan support also. 

I have to add this...The Delphi fans were VERY nice people who were gracious and terrific sports.  They have every right to be extremely proud of their team!  They wrestled Castle like men possessed.  I can say the same of the Belmont fans I talked to also.  For that fact everyone I talked to was great and welcomed the new teams to the Big Show. 

Here's my only recommendation to the IHSAA & Indiana wrestling fans out there. Let's find a way to get more fans in the stands! There were THREE Indy-area schools at Team State this year & there were still far too many open seats at Center Grove. $8 to watch the best teams in the state battle in 7 great duals is a bargain.

I think it would be beneficial to move the team series before the individual series. Forget for a second how this would be done, and just ask yourself if it would be more beneficial? I think for most wrestlers/fans, Individual State is the finale of the season not Team State (which I can understand). Once Individual State is over, most people are ready to take a break and turn off their "wrestling mode" mindset. So if you move Team State before Individual State. Everyone is still in "wrestling mode," and it's feasible to have more of a fan turnout. Just my 2 cents.

If you agree with this, then the question becomes. How do go about moving the team series before the individual series?

I have to add this...The Delphi fans were VERY nice people who were gracious and terrific sports.   They have every right to be extremely proud of their team!   They wrestled Castle like men possessed.   I can say the same of the Belmont fans I talked to also.  For that fact everyone I talked to was great and welcomed the new teams to the Big Show.

I've found the same thing about the Bellmont fans, I know most of the state hates us but I find MD and Bellmont fans have a lot in common. Their programs seem to mirror each other minus the team sucses ain the last decade but Bellmont could change that they're usually at team state and put them selves in a position to win every year.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.