Has an "out-of-nowhere" wrestler ever won State?

SlickRodz

Pribble lost to Bellmont's Matt Burkhalter for 8th in 2002. State Champ 2003

Brock Norton lost to Will Sheets at dual meet, again at semi-finals at conference. Both times 11-2.

At the Decatur Folkstyle Tournament Brook only loss to Will by 1. It shows what hard work does

as Brock took 3rd at State! CONGRATS BROCK!

Jeff Sheets

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another cool fact about Brock Norton is that he didn't wrestle varsity all of his sophomore year.  I think he earned the varsity spot late in the year.   So basically he was JV 1/2 the year last year and #3 in the state this year.  Very talented kid.  

Thats very cool, on that note, has anyone every wrestled jv the year before a state title, or deep run into the tournament?

Pribble lost to Bellmont's Matt Burkhalter for 8th in 2002. State Champ 2003

Brock Norton lost to Will Sheets at dual meet, again at semi-finals at conference. Both times 11-2.

At the Decatur Folkstyle Tournament Brook only loss to Will by 1. It shows what hard work does

as Brock took 3rd at State! CONGRATS BROCK!

Jeff Sheets

Not to knock on Sheets, but it looks like Norton reversed things this year ! Didn't he beat Sheets once or twice this year ?

Another cool fact about Brock Norton is that he didn't wrestle varsity all of his sophomore year.  I think he earned the varsity spot late in the year.   So basically he was JV 1/2 the year last year and #3 in the state this year.  Very talented kid.  

Thats very cool, on that note, has anyone every wrestled jv the year before a state title, or deep run into the tournament?

It was Lentz' first year on Varsity for Mishawaka and he took second

Adam Guerra last year finally started and took 5th for the Cavemen as well

that was anthony williams from evansville central

Anthony Williams of Evansville Central was surprising. Was he ranked in his junior year when he won? I know the following year ( his senior year  ) he was pinned in the first tourney of  the year by Lucas Robertson of Evansville Reitz.  ;)

6minutes.....

A few years back James "Jimmy" Nichols of Westfield was jv as a freshmen, sophomore, and started his junior season on jv.  Our starter at 112 then had an injury and Nichols stepped in for the remainder of the season.  Then his senior year, James was a relative unknown at the beginning of the year and made a deep run in the state tournament (losing in an overtime match in the semis at state before finishing 4th).  Nichols went on to wrestle in college, lettered four years, and is currently University of Indianapolis starter at 125.  A great story of hard work, determination, and perserverance.  WHS wishes him the best of luck in the final part of his senior year.

The topic got a little off subject, regarding who won state.  I would have to vote for Pribble, regardless of whether he placed or qualified previously, not too shabby for a very small school athlete to take home the prize.  Out of nowhere vote for this year, and probably the last few...Christian Lentz.  '08 Junior Varsity  '09 State Runner-Up.  Not a bad transition.

Anthony Williams of Evansville Central was surprising. Was he ranked in his junior year when he won? I know the following year ( his senior year  ) he was pinned in the first tourney of  the year by Lucas Robertson of Evansville Reitz.  ;)

Lucas Was good. Didnt he pin Schmitt from Castle the year before he won state?

Lucas Was good. Didnt he pin Schmitt from Castle the year before he won state?

Yes Robertson pinned Schmitt but I think he choked him out in the process.  Schmitt passed out and I don't think the refs could see it.

Gosh how could I forget Shire of East Noble.  Duh!  Yes, he came out of nowhere and placed second last year.  He was almost our 1st state champ.  Great athlete and kid. 

Coach Wadkins,

I know I was shocked that year when he beat Eddie at the Semi-State, after that weekend he seemed to ride the momentum to the title that year.

Did Fowler wrestle him during the season?

Rob Pavletic from Hobart at 160 his Junior year back in 89 or 90.  I don't thin anyone expected him to win. 

Rob Pavletic was pretty much a shocker to win at 160 his junior year ,and I don't he took hire than 6th his senior at same exact weight class.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.