CLARK TAKES 3rd AT STATE

dstruck

CLARK TAKES 3rd AT STATE

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009902220493

INDIANAPOLIS -- The final regular-season poll of the Indiana High School Wrestling Coaches' Association ranked Jeffersonville senior Jon Clark as the third-best 285-pound wrestler in the state. As it turns out, the poll was dead on.

Clark finished third in his heavyweight class in last night's State Finals at Conseco Fieldhouse, edging Columbus North's ninth-ranked Jowan Gill 3-2 in the third-place match. Clark bounced back from an overtime loss in the semifinals to Mount Vernon's Alex White.

"State is definitely a lot harder than people realize," said Clark (33-4). "I wanted to do better, but a lot of people don't get what they want. You just need to keep your head up. That was a big win for me. (Gill) had beaten me in the semistate, so it was nice to end on that note."

Clark started his day impressively, taking down 13th-ranked Wes Everett of Delphi three times en route to a 7-4 win in the quarterfinals. That set up the semifinal against No. 4 White.

White got an escape in the second round to take a 1-0 lead, and Clark spent most of the third round chasing his opponent. The referee whistled White for stalling with 21 seconds left, and the penalty point credited to Clark tied the score and forced a one-minute overtime.

With 10 seconds left in OT, Clark shot for White's ankles, but he fell out of position, and White was able to get around Clark for a two-point takedown with just a second to go, pulling out a 3-1 win.

White then lost 7-2 to Winchester's Adam Chalfant in last night's late final.

"He's a staller," Clark said. "He wins like that. People have different styles, and he uses that one."

Clark plans on continuing his wrestling in college. "I'm undecided right now, but there are a lot of schools who are interested," he said.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.