Braggin' Rights?

hogleg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be the Indiana/Illinois All Star duals.  This is for the Times Newspaper coverage area which consists of the NW part of Indiana (Lake, Porter, Jasper and Newton Counties) and the Chicago area.

Seniors only.  But there are some classes that don't have any senior state finalists from the region.  Just wondering what smarter people from the area (ontherise and region rat) think.

Some easy ones would be

160: Myers (CP)

189: Shrewsbury (CP)

215: Bakalkik (CP) or Nunez (Highland)

Other possibles going by rankings.

140: Richmond (Merrillville) Is he a senior?

145: Almarez (Highland)

HWT: Anderson (Highland) or Boatright (Chesterton)

112-  Cameron Wilson ?????? think he is only senior in area

119- Wil Costakis or Josh Manes

125- Gabe Muro

130-????

135-Johnny Dillon

140-Darrius Richmond or Garrett Payne

145-Keon Jones

152-Aaron Estrada

160- Mark Myers

171- Chris Bartley

189- Marcus Shrewsbury

215-Jim Bakalik

285- Coty Anderson

I always enjoy going to watch the Bragging Rights. It's especially good when Illinois actually brings its best guys. That said, the only thing I have to add to the lineups is I think Manes from CP should be at 119 since he beat Costakis from Merrillville multiple times and I think they both made it to the same round at Semi State, and at 215 I think it should be Bakalik from CP since he made it to state and the Highland wrestler did not (I do not think they wrestled, so you can't look at head to head there). (I freely admit that I am biased toward CP, but I think I gave valid reasons.) For 130, you could have either Muro from Griffith or Camach from Hobart bump up, and whoever doesn't could stay at 125, since I do not see any region seniors who made it to Semi State at 130. 145 should be Keon Jones from Merrillville since he placed 4th. 140 should be Richmond from Merrillville since he beat Payne at the DAC (but I don't know if they ever faced each other other than that, so that could be changeable. Plus, is Michigan City in the Times' area?). The matchups should start coming out in the Times newspaper shortly after the Team State is completed, right?

Thanks for correcting me on the 215 thing, Bash. Bakalik should still get the invitation since he beat him then.

Also, it's this upcoming Sunday? Wow, I thought it would have been the next weekend. I haven't seen anything in the papers. I think CP could still compete, since the team tourney is on Sat. Whether or not they want to is another question, but I think they will.

It's this Sunday, isn't it?

Yes.... at Purdue Calumet

I didn't realize it was so soon.  Not sure why some of the better schools from Illinois have not shown up in recent years.  I remember Mt. Carmel bringing some studs back in the day.

Chuck,

I did not think they even weighed in for this event, I know at least when I participated in it they did not.  Hey that was ages ago though it seems!

I don't think they weigh in either.

For the 14th consecutive year, the top senior wrestlers from Northwest Indiana and Chicago's south suburbs will face off in the Times Braggin' Rights Wrestling Classic.

Purdue Calumet's Fitness and Recreation Center again will play host to the event, which is scheduled for 2 p.m. on Sunday, March 1. That's the day after the prep season ends in both Indiana and Illinois with the team state tournaments.

According to state by-laws, only seniors who have completed their eligibility in a particular sport may participate in all-star competition.

Indiana won the meet last year, 39-22, and leads the all-time series 11-2. Teams are selected by members of the Times sports staff and will be announced soon.

PREP WRESTLING | TIMES BRAGGIN' RIGHTS CLASSIC

Times Braggin' Rights Classic

When: 2 p.m., Sunday, March 1; doors open at 1:30 p.m.

Where: Purdue University Calumet's Fitness and Recreation Center, 173rd St. between Woodmar and Wicker avenues in Hammond.

Tickets: Available at the door -- $5 for adults, $3 for children 12 and under.

OTR's picks for Indiana

112 Cameron wilson Andrean SSQ in 08

119 Josh Manes Crown Point 2x SSQ 31-6

125 Gabe Muro Griffith SSQ 25-10

130 Not many Senior 130's Maybe Sam Camacho 125 from Hobart 2x SSQ 27-9 or Whiting's 130 Alex Leddesama 20-15

135 Johnny Dillon Hobart 5th@140 08 SQ 09 36-2

140 Darius Richmond Merrillville 2x SSQ 32-6, Garrett Payne MC 2x SSQ 33-6

145 Keon Jones Merrillville 4th@145 38-8

152 Aaron Estrada Munster 2xSQ 5th, 4th 25-4

160 Mark Myers Crown Point 5th,3rd 41-1

171 Chris Bartley Griffith Regional Champ SSQ 31-4

189 Marcus Shrewsbury Crown Point 7th,2nd, 1st 42-0

215 Jimmy Bakalik Crown Point SQ 24-15

Hwt Cody Anderson Highland 2xSSQ 29-2

NW Indiana is considered our strongest area for wrestling (I can see the southern folks just gasping for air after reading that ;D).  What would be considered Illinois strongest region?  Is it the Chicago area or somewhere else?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.