Crown Point Wrestlers excellent, Coaching of Sporstmanship Inexcusable

sasquatch

I was very impressed with the Crown point wrestlers this weekend. To a man they were all extremely prepared and focused, which is a testament to their hard work and their  coaching staff.

However, I am sick of watching only ONE school the entire weekend not demonstrate a modicum of sportsmanship at the State finals. I know that there has been talk on the site ad nauseum about shaking hands and how many times is necessary and all that baloney. However, we are at the Stae Finals! Not once did a Crown point wrestler shake an opposing coaches hand at the conclusion of a match. Every single Crown Point opponent in victory or defeat came over and shook the Crown point coaches hand. They even went so far as to leave John Grey from cathedral "out in the cold" during introductions. After every single pairing was announced the wrestlers went across the mat and shook the opposing coaches hand. Grey crossed the mat only to see the backs of the Bulldogs coaches walking away.

The sport of wrestling teaches more life lessons than any other sport, in my opinion. It also gives coaches the opportunity to coach them up on what it means to be great people in addition to being great wrestlers. I am sick of hearing from CP coaches when they get out of the region to wrestle and tell me when I ask them why their wrestler didn't shake my hand that " we don't do that in the region!" Well, every other "region" school did it this weekend.

CP coaches- wake up! Give your kids the "complete package" that wrestling offers and not just your arrogant version.

Congrats to the bulldog wrestlers.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was very impressed with the Crown point wrestlers this weekend. To a man they were all extremely prepared and focused, which is a testament to their hard work and their  coaching staff.

However, I am sick of watching only ONE school the entire weekend not demonstrate a modicum of sportsmanship at the State finals. I know that there has been talk on the site ad nauseum about shaking hands and how many times is necessary and all that baloney. However, we are at the Stae Finals! Not once did a Crown point wrestler shake an opposing coaches hand at the conclusion of a match. Every single Crown Point opponent in victory or defeat came over and shook the Crown point coaches hand. They even went so far as to leave John Grey from cathedral "out in the cold" during introductions. After every single pairing was announced the wrestlers went across the mat and shook the opposing coaches hand. Grey crossed the mat only to see the backs of the Bulldogs coaches walking away.

The sport of wrestling teaches more life lessons than any other sport, in my opinion. It also gives coaches the opportunity to coach them up on what it means to be great people in addition to being great wrestlers. I am sick of hearing from CP coaches when they get out of the region to wrestle and tell me when I ask them why their wrestler didn't shake my hand that " we don't do that in the region!" Well, every other "region" school did it this weekend.

CP coaches- wake up! Give your kids the "complete package" that wrestling offers and not just your arrogant version.

Boy, you must be running out of things to complain about in you life if you have to worry about people shaking hands!

This is complete boloney. They never did that when I was in high school and it wasn't considered disrepectful. Why should they change now? I've also witnessed many times where a losing wrestler will come over and mutter something nasty or just swipe at a coach's hand, and that's not good for anybody. Best just to avoid that situation altogether.

I would like to know who came up with this idea that you have to walk over to the other coach and shake their hand otherwise you're being disrespectful, and when did this come about?

You should be ashamed of yourself for trying to tarnish their accomplishments over the weekend.

I don't think they did it on purpose, they did have another finalist at 189 to go and get back in line for.  I don't think sasquatch has sour grapes only giving his opinion on the matter that is on his mind.  Let us remember this is a discussion board where opinions are shared.  I am a fan of shaking after matches, but it does not bother me that some teams do not.  Matter of personal prefrence for each team.

People make to big of a deal about shaking hands.  There is already enough of it...face off, beginning of the match, end of the match, and after a dual meet.  That is four times of having to shake hands. Personally I prefer not to shake the opposing wrestlers hand, after a match.  It will happen at the end of the dual. Where is the sportsmanship when a wrestler comes over and just slaps at a coaches hand? I'd rather move on with my wrestler than have that.

traditionaly teams from up north usualy dont shake. i see nothing wrong with it, if we wrestle a team that doesnt shake, we wont shake either. but not to be douchebags or anything, just out of respect for the other team.

yeah i'm in that region too and CP is the only school that doesn't shake hands

I don't have a problem with a team not shaking hands..not big deal to me. It is a bit of a big deal if a young man comes over to shake a coaches hand and the coach does not shake hands. At the same time I have a hard time believing that CP's coaches just turned their backs on a young man intentionally.

Get ready to watch your cool points spiral downward.  If you say anything "controversial" that may ruffle a few feathers, posters will do the mature thing and give you a few boo's.

wow, you are flat out ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!  COMBATSPEED said it right,

Shaking hands is a sign of respect for another person since way back in the day. if you dont shake there hand you must not respect them. Things are changing I guess. If you are that afraid of germs you probably should not be in the sport of wrestling since you do have to touch another person and not just there hand.

Maybe I was sleeping during the finals and missed some bad sportsmanship displayed by the Crown Point wrestlers. These boys are a class act and to insinuate that they are anything but, is UNEXCUSABLE!!! How dare you word your post in a way that makes these boys sound like thugs who can't display appropriate behavior. Just because you may not agree with not shaking hands, it doesn't give you the right to say that their coaches are not teaching them to be great people and  are not offering them YOUR version of a complete package. These boys are some of the BEST young men that I have had the great pleasure to be around and the CP coaches are great leaders and terrific role models to these young men. Congrats again to the entire Crown Point team and coaches.

I don't think they did it on purpose, they did have another finalist at 189 to go and get back in line for. 

A finalist that would not be called for 7 more weight classes.  I do not think they did it on purpose, and I do not want to believe so, however the idea that they had to get back to their 189 lber is strecthing it.  The 5 seconds it would have took to acknowledge Grey would not have messed up their routine.  All that said, I would like to say that I have never witnessed any blatant unsportmanship from the CP wrestlers and/or their coaches.

Maybe I was sleeping during the finals and missed some bad sportsmanship displayed by the Crown Point wrestlers. These boys are a class act and to insinuate that they are anything but, is UNEXCUSABLE!!! How dare you word your post in a way that makes these boys sound like thugs who can't display appropriate behavior. Just because you may not agree with not shaking hands, it doesn't give you the right to say that their coaches are not teaching them to be great people and  are not offering them YOUR version of a complete package. These boys are some of the BEST young men that I have had the great pleasure to be around and the CP coaches are great leaders and terrific role models to these young men. Congrats again to the entire Crown Point team and coaches.

Clive- you seem a bit paranoid. Read the post. I was impressed with the wrestlers performance, focus and preparation and congratulated them for it. Refer back to X card...this is a discussion board.I have every right to make an observation. Nobody insinuated anything about the young men. Nothing was said about them being thugs who cannot display good behavior. There were 224 wrestlers competing at Conseco. The only wrestlers not to shake the opposing coaches hand were from Crown point. I am fairly certain the boys do not make that decision on their own. If you aren't tired of the disrespect shown by alot of todays youth to adults and feel that missing an opportunity to display respect is a good example, especially in front of a fieldhouse full of young, impressionable, future wrestlers, you have every right to submit a post about it.

Of course it is a discussion board and you have the right to come on here and complain about things that don't fit in your version of a perfect world. But it is not inexcusable. They are not violating any rules, just your version of what's acceptable. Maybe you should start a petition to have this included in the rule book.

All football and basketball players must be the most disrespectful people on earth, they only shake hands after the game.  I think they should shake hands after each play with not only the players, but the coaches.

Y2- you are a genius! Yeah, even in my "region" football players and basketball players  line up and SHAKE hands with the players and coaches after the game. What a novel idea...

All football and basketball players must be the most disrespectful people on earth, they only shake hands after the game.  I think they should shake hands after each play with not only the players, but the coaches.

this is the funniest thing i have ever read on this board.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.