Crown Point Wrestlers excellent, Coaching of Sporstmanship Inexcusable

sasquatch

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The responses to this subject are really curious. First of all, if you think this discussion topic is irrelevant and tiresome, WHY are you posting on it? Why don't you get over it? Most of us who either coach or have made a significant investment in the lives of all the young wrestlers we work with go way beyond their performance on the mat. I in no way implied the CP wrestlers were not getting life lessons along the way. It was simply my strong belief that it should be carried over after the match.

It has become obvious that the virtuous convictions and principles most of us feel seperate wrestling from all other sports is not as prevalent as most would think. And no, it just isn't about shaking someone's hand.

Too many of our kids do not have a home or surroundings where the basic tenets of respect are taught and reinforced. I am not a schoolteacher, but I know most of the head coaches are in the buildings in one capacity or another. I am in the building during the wrestling season and it confirms the "horror stories" of disrespect they seem to experience everyday.

I don't like to see an opportunity lost for a young man to learn about  principles of common courtesy, respect and a reasonable level of sportsmanship that seems to be disappearing in our society.

It sounds like you're backtracking a little bit from your original comments, which were strongly worded and suggesting that Crown Point's coaches are disrespectful and do not teach their kids good sportsmanship. If you just wanted to have a general discussion about whether or not teams should be required to shake hands, then you shouldn't have called out CP's coaches in the way you did.  If you wanted to talk about how kids in general are becoming more disrespectful, or how common courtesy is disappearing from society, maybe you should have went to another discussion board, but you certainly should not have done it the way you did in insinuating what you did about CP. The reason some people got so upset is because they flat out know you are wrong, and my guess is you don't have any relationship with CP at all, so you really don't know what you're talking about.

I hope this is the last post on this topic, but wanted to get my two cents in...during the entire weekend I seen two, maybe three displays of bad sportsmanship, none of which can be linked to one coach or one team.  Not only do the athletes who competed this weekend deserve the kudos and respect for making it to state, but the coaches also deserve it as well.  I would say that there is a very high percentage of coaches who coach because they love the sport, not for the money.  They are substiture fathers, teachers and a stable adult in some of their wrestler's lives.  And they do this because they love the sport, the team and the individuals on the team, and I don't believe they need this criticism.

With that being said, how about we leave this up to the guys (coaches) who know their wrestlers best and let them use their judgement?  In an earlier post I thought some of the responsibility was upon the officials, but maybe I was wrong.  Maybe the host team/home team needs to lay out the rules for their specific tournament (shake at the beginning, the end, after each match...) and those teams participating sign-up for that when they enter the tournament.

Just a thought...now can we go back to the weather?

If I would have won saturday, I would have not only shaked the other wrestler's hand, the other wrestler's coaches hands, and my coach's hands but also any score girl's hands and the official's hand, not to mention the side official, the good people scoring at the table, and anyone who happened to be video taping. I also woulda shook the hand of the coaches of all the different schools present, any ex-coaches who might have been in attendance, perhaps an AD or two, and I would have made a personal note to find the nice man that did introductions and shake his hand. After i had finished with all of that I would have made my way to shaking the hands of all the parents of competing wrestlers (not only of those in the finals but also those who didn't make it to the finals). With that out of the way i would feel safely that i had not offended anyone and could now make my way to the podium. :D

Well actually yes it does...not sure what line of work you are in, but unless you work for "The Donald" I am sure you shook hands at the interview.  If it was offered and you did not, would you have still have got the job?  In wrestling it boils down to the fact that 99% of the teams do it so if you don't it makes you look cocky, rather thats the intention or not.

it a wrestling match not a job interview you cant judge someone by not shaking thier hand if your aderniline is pumping and u lose a match you shake your opponents hand after you lose and walk off the mat in frustation..the other coach didnt do a damn thing for you to shake thier hands all there doing is screaming and complaining at the ref if there is a bad call there is absouletly no reason someone "HAS" to shake  a hand.

Let's just conclude this:

If you don't shake the other coach's hand, it is not bad sportmanship.  However, if you do shake their hand, it is good sportmanship.  When I coach my kid, he must shake the other coach's hand. 

I hate to prolong this topic, but I cannot resist. That said, I disagree that shaking the other coach's hand is necessarily good sportsmanship. It can be, but it isn't always. I don't think a kid is necessarily being a good sport because he is forced to shake someone's hand. And sometimes the kids don't mean it and only swipe because they have to. As I said before, I would be much more impressed if a kid took it upon himself to do it on his own time. Otherwise, I'm really not impressed by it and I don't think it automatically proves good sportsmanship. I hope you see the distinction I am trying to make.

Let's just conclude this:

If you don't shake the other coach's hand, it is not bad sportmanship.  However, if you do shake their hand, it is good sportmanship.  When I coach my kid, he must shake the other coach's hand. 

I hate to prolong this topic, but I cannot resist. That said, I disagree that shaking the other coach's hand is necessarily good sportsmanship. It can be, but it isn't always. I don't think a kid is necessarily being a good sport because he is forced to shake someone's hand. And sometimes the kids don't mean it and only swipe because they have to. As I said before, I would be much more impressed if a kid took it upon himself to do it on his own time. Otherwise, I'm really not impressed by it and I don't think it automatically proves good sportsmanship. I hope you see the distinction I am trying to make.

i say each coach should shake each others hand after each match ;D ;D

If CP is the only team not shaking hands after matches they must be doing something right, I  mean every other team is shaking hands but Crown Point is the State Champs, maybe other teams need to learn from them

I bet if we tried to shake a Russian coaches hand after a controvesial match that we won he probably wouldn't take to that to well. :)

Actually, the rules for Freestyle and Greco list handshaking as part of the end of match procedures.  This includes shaking the hands of all 3 officials and the opposing coach's hand.  This is even followed by all of the states at the national dual tournaments, even though it is "redundant" when the teams line up to shake hands after the dual.

So, a Russian coach would probably feel very offended if one of our wrestlers did not shake his hand after a controversial match.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.