Contrasts from this year to last year

Any one following to Hoosiers over a period of years might see the difference. This year with the addition of Paul Young, Kirt Kinser, Matt Pawless, Matt Ortega and one that I don't want to forget Mr. walpole, I have seen a determination and an energy that teams of Goldman have not had in the past. Surely you guys have noticed. I mean there is no quit in this team. We out worked Purdue, Penn State, the list goes on, we OWN the THIRD period! Unlike past 3or 4 teams, when we would hold on and hope not to be majored. I don't necessarily think it's coaching but the individuals that the coaches have recruited. I think you guys that watch the team can see the difference. I could go on here with some other things but I wonder if the rest of you noticed. I know they will get a bigger fan base knowing each wrestler has a chance to win because of this work ethic.

Hmmmm....this year the Hoosiers are 15-5-1 OVERALL, 2-3-1 BIG TEN. Last year, they were 13-8-0 OVERALL, 2-6-0 BIG TEN. 06/07 they were 2-6-0 BIG TEN. With Iowa and Minnesota left this year, it's probably going to end about the same. So yeah, your right on, slugs like Becker, Dean, and Bennet had no business wrestling last year or Dubuque the year before, for that matter. Jeesh...have some perspective.

Hoosier, I really don't know what you're driving at but comparing the results from the last two years to this year Is like day and night. We have been in every match this year, in the BX except for ONE.4pt. Wisc. ,Tie Penn st., 2pt. OSU.,2pt.Mich.,besides the two wins, PU,NU.

Last year we didn't get within 5pts. of the teams that we lost to.Or the year before as a matter of fact.

Maybe it's just symantics, still, it seems to me Disco, that you're saying the prior years squads didn't put forth the effort that this year's squad has, or have been less talented than this years squad. I disagree to a degree, and I think in the way you phrase it, you mock prior teams. Especially your comment about work ethic. Further, you insinuate that the IU coaches do not have a hand in motivating the team this year and that's a slap in thier face as well. So the matches are closer, big deal, the outcome is still the same. Has it occured to you that maybe some of the talent on other squads may not be what's it's been? Maybe the matchups have been different? How many of this years squad won matches at the National Duals, (for that matter, was IU ever blanked in the last two years like they were against ISU?) vs. the past squads, or better yet, how many of this years team placed at the Midlands vs. prior years. Do you really think the OSU match would have been as close if Reese had wrestled?

If you think our guys in red haven't gased in the third period as in prior years, then you ought to go back and look at the tapes. There have been a number of times our boys have pooped out, it happens on other teams as well. I'm not down on this team. I think they're a fine bunch and have been coached well. I do get aggravated by poor comparisons made by partisan observers. I'm a homer too. I just think it's silly to compare one year to another, too many variables. 

All this being said, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and see who shows up Friday night against Iowa.

we'll see how good they are after friday night

Are you kidding me? you are going to base their season on the Iowa match? LOL, Almost as funny as hoosiedaddys last post. LOL,LOL

actually i was impressed with iu. of the few times that i have seen them this season that was the best they have looked

Blah, blah, blah...two of the guys you say have made the difference this year got owned last night. They did not even compete!

07/08 squad

Escobedo - warrior. Agree with Disco here. He never quits.

Ortega - far from the real deal right now. After a few heavy beat downs by Dennis looked like he couldn't make it back to the bench with out help.  He quit wrestling sometime in the second period.

Hernandez - MIA until last night when he made up for a whole season of ho-hum wrestling.

Walpole - Usually gives a nice effort but overall just another place holder. Third period pattern continues last night as he gassed and just gave up, (only it started about 30 seconds into the first period, when he quit wrestling).

Kinser - warrior. Took care of business last night. Agree with Disco here...never quits.

Young - on the cusp, usually in every match no matter who the competition is. Tends to tire in the third period as seemed to be the case last night. Still, good effort.

Perry - Hot & cold. Has shown a propensity to run out of gas in the third period. Either really good or really bad, as he was last night. He didn't quit wrestling last night, just never really got started wrestling.

Carmeron - hmmmm....running out of gas is not the issue here. He quit wrestling when the Big Ten season started.

Pawless - similar to Young except that his engine is always on go go go....Good effort last night against someone who looked like they came out of a neandrathal museum. Agree with Disco here. Never quits.

Everheart - I like Everheart...he's just wrestling the wrong weight. I think he typically puts in a solid seven minutes.

Team as a whole: will finish the Big Ten just as they had the last couple of years.

Hoosier ,you sound like nice young man I would like to meet some day. I think we have a lot in common. This years team is light years ahead of the previous two.  DISCOOO!! stayin alive stayin alive oh oh oh oh stayin alive!

Hmmmm...light years? I don't know about that, but I'll grant you that so far, this years team has a slight edge in the numbers. We'll see what they look like after today's match. In addition, last years squad sent 8 to the big dance. Curious to see how many they'll send this year...

Last Year This Year

125 Escobedo 7-1 .875 125 Escobedo 5-2 .714   

133 Hernandez                      3-5 .375 133 Ortega 2-5 .28

141 Kelly 3-5 .375 141 Hernandez             2-3 .4

149 Kinser 2-6 .25 141 Kelly 0-2 0

157 Becker 7-1 .875 149 Walpole 2-5 .28

165 Coughlin 5-3 .625 157 Kinser                      5-2 .714

174 Perry                      0-4 0 165 Young                      3-4 .428

174 Young 0-4 0 174 Perry 3-4 .428

184 Bennett 5-3 .625 184 Cameron 0-3 0

184 Cameron 0-1 0 184 Parker 0-3 0

197 Fagiano 2-5 .28 197 Pawless 4-2 .666

HWT Everhart 1-6 .14 HWT Everheart            6-1 .857

HWT Sandberg 0-1 0

Overall win percentage  .437 .457

NCAA Qualifiers 8

#All-Americans 2

^National Champion 1

Sorry Disco, my brother, but the Big Ten numbers just don't support your claim that this years Hoosiers are light years ahead of the 2007/2008 squad. Seven of ten weights for this years squad preformed worse than last year. I'll update again for NCAA Qualifiers and All Americans.

2008-2009 Team

125 lbs. Angel Escobedo           6-2

133 lbs. Matt Ortega                2-6

141 lbs. Andrae Hernandez   2-4

141 lbs. Scott Kelly                   0-2

149 lbs. Nick Walpole              3-5

157 lbs. Kurt Kinser                 5-3

165 lbs. Paul Young                 4-4

174 lbs. Trevor Perry             4-4

184 lbs. Eric Cameron            0-5

184 lbs. Seth Parker                0-3

197 lbs. Matt Powless              4-4

285 lbs. Nate Everhart          6-2

08/09 Team W/L                     30-42 Over all win percentage = .416

2007-2008                 

125 Escobedo       7-1

133 Hernandez   3-5   

141 Kelly              3-5         

149 Kinser           2-6   

157 Becker           7-1   

165 Coughlin       5-3

174 Perry             0-4   

174 Young            0-4         

184 Bennett         5-3

197 Fagiano         2-5

197 Cameron      0-1

HWT Everhart    1-6

HWT Sandberg    0-1   

07/08 W/L           35-45   winning percentage .437

NCAA Qualifiers   8

#All-Americans      2

^National Champion 1

Hoosier, you are (HUNG )up on numbers!!( You notice hung in parentheses, I know that might be a big leap.)Give it a rest OK? I'll have to give it to you Kinser and Nate let us  slip a notch on the refuse to loose meter, but I still don't see how those numbers can tell how aggressive the team has looked this year. Wins ,losses aside, their is no stat to show aggressiveness. This team is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the way last two teams have wrestled in the BX.

Disco wins this round:

125 lbs. #3 Angel Escobedo (IN)

133 lbs. Andre Hernandez (IN)

141 lbs.  Not seeded

149 lbs.  Not seeded

157 lbs. #3 Brandon Becker (IN)

165 lbs. #6 Matt Coughlin (IN)

174 lbs. Not Seeded

184 lbs. #6 Marc Bennett (IN)

197 lbs. Not Seeded

Hvywt. Not Seeded

125 -#3 Escobedo, IND

133 -Not Seeded

141 -#8 Hernandez

149 -#7 Walpole

157 -#3 Kinser

165 -#7 Young

174 -#4 Perry

184 -Not seeded

197 -#6 Powless

Hvywt -#5 Everheart

Hoosier, two guys I look for ,to really cause some problems for the rest of the men in their respective classes are, Young and Powless.

These guys fear no one in the conference, and the coaches will have their gas tanks full.

I'm starting to hear the fat lady sing on this argument....in Hoosierdaddy's favor!

2009 IU Big Ten Results

1 Big Ten Champion

6 NCAA seeds

69 total team points

9th place

2008 IU Big Ten Results

1 Big Ten Champion

8 NCAA seeds

80 total team points

8th place

Time to give it up Disco and admit that this year's team just does not have the pedigree of last years team...nor some of the others before last year for that matter.

I really thought IU would be on the upswing, but they dont seem to be able to get over the hump.  Hopefully next year some of their guys will either return to form or reach their potential and IU will be on the rise.