Logansport Regional

DelphiHWT

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok outa 16 Legitimate chance I think we get 2/3rds out and at least half so I say 8-10 Logansport guys will get out

112- Floyd will not beat Smith from Lake Central  (This kid is a stud)

119- Trujillio - I don't see him beating Hildebrandt from Penn

125- Ezera Penn is one of my picks to make it to state if he can get past Stevens from Mish. Penn (125 is a lot different then the 103 he wrestled last year)

125- Hicks won't beat Shrader from Mishawaka  

ok Floyd can and should beat smith

Trujillo can and should beat Hildebrandt

You are deffinitely under estimated the size Penn has put on he is a legitimate 125 though Stevens is very tough

Hicks barely lost in OT to Penn with a questionable call on the toes in bounds takedown he had, and he will beat Shrader

171- I think McCoy will lose to Sands from Han. Central

This should be a nail biter 50/50

My Picks are

Floyd

Trujillo

Penn

Hicks

Minix

McCoy

Atwood

Tolle

so 8 it is for me

I want to put Everett but its just to ify

Almost Good- As I said, I am totally loyal to our area and only wish the best and hope for the best.  I also think that positive thought is very important.  So to the wrestlers and coaches from the Logansport Regional you should absolutely go in there thinking that you are going on to the state championships.  I wouldn't respect you if you didn't have that attitude.   I am not currently a coach so I can speak honestly.  I have been around wrestling a very long time, and I can tell you that our regional has never and I repeat never come close to sending 20 wrestlers to the state even on what I consider a strong year, which this year is not.  I don't think so but maybe I will miss my mark of four wrestlers by a couple give or take a couple.  I am usually very accurate with my predictions.  With that being said, there are always pleasant surprises where a Logan Regional wrestler slips through, but this year I'm not holding my breath.  I would love to go in to "The Region" and show those boys that the Logan Regional wrestlers have what it takes.  However, taking 20 of our wrestlers to state isn't even close to realistic!  I on the other hand do respect and like your opinion.  You are a true optimist and I am being a severe pesimist.  Good luck to everyone!  Win or lose this is the best sport on the face of the Earth!

I know back in the early 90's we had some good years sending guys to state from the Logan Regional.  My senior year I Know we ddin't just make noise at semi state we made noise at state..

Can't rem off the top of my head but im sure we had over 20, even had a state champ that year.  I know its a tough place to go.  I have also seen our regional take some tough losses up there maybe some we shouldn't have.

Tim- You are correct about making noise at the state level in the early 90's.  We have had a few state champions come from the Logan Regionals.  When Frankfort was in the Logan Regional they had Josh Birge and two other big guys win the state in a two or three year period.  Lafayette Jeff had a kid named Weingartner win, and Kasten from Winamac.    I still don't think we have ever come close to 20 though.  I also think that it is total crap when officials from the north are allowed to officiate the Merrillville Semi State.  The matches are clearly not always called fairly.  That is for sure.

Ok you made me do it lol.

Let me see

Western

Aaron Baumgartner

David Workman  (7th)

Eric Funkhouser  (3rd)

Trent Robertson  (5th?)

Kokomo

Tim Spray (5th)

Bret Amos

Taylor

Randy Robinette (? )

Tri Central

Andy Edmonds

Gabe Johnson

Delphi

Craig Ralston (?)

Brent Ralston

Frankfort

Jake Myers

Twin Lakes

Matt Gritten

Travis Funkhouser

Laf Jeff

BJ Andrews

Kevin Winegardner (1st)

Laf Harrison

Tony Haan 

17 total thats 1994  7 place winners...Im sure there have been some ven better years

You got me here.  I am good friends with the two Twin Lakes guys that you mentioned, and I do have the same program from the state finals that you are quoting from.  Out of fairness to me though, you have to admit that that regional is not even close to the regional that we have now.  The loss of the Kokomo and surrounding area schools was a blow to our regional.  Yes we picked up some schools but not the caliber of what we lost.  And if you do your research you will find that there has not been another year like that.  I thought a couple of those guys got beat in the ticket round that year.  Given the fact that you were there, I'll trust you.  That was truly a great bunch of wrestlers you are correct.  Now look at that level of talent with 17 advancing to state, and tell me that this year's kids even have a remote chance of taking 20.  You are a coach and an excellent one at that.  You can't make that statement without disrespecting your boys I understand that.  But you know exactly what I'm saying though.

I went and looked at the number of qualifiers we've had since redrawing the sectionals to what they are now and it seems like we get about 6-8 guys to state a year.  I was just skimming the brackets really quickly though so i may have missed a few here and there but it seems about right.  I was going to go further back but I was a junior in high school the first time they redrew the sectionals and hadn't really paid attention to who was at the regional yet so I don't remember who all was there.  7-8 guys isn't great but it's not horrible considering most of our teams from our regional are 1 or 2 a and some of them, like frontier, haven't even had teams until just recently.   I think the area  can definitely do better and I think they will do better in the next few years as long as good coaches like coach Spray stick around.

scardy, i believe you will get twin lakes back on track.  you've got the right attitude and will have your guys hungry. 

on the topic of success in merrillville, i just wonder how much of an affect it has on guys down here having to stay overnight and wrestle vs region guys basically wrestling on their home turf.  i'm not saying region guys aren't tough we all know it's the toughest wrestling area in the state.  but i wonder if our guys would do any better if they got to sleep in their own beds and wrestle semistate matches in lafayette or logan.  i can't help but think it would make a difference in a lot of the so-so guys wrestling from the region.  wrestling in m'ville is a little intimidating to the kid who's hasn't seen it before.  different mentallity up there.

Wow Mad I agree with you there.  :P  It is very tough for a first timer to go and wrestle at Mville. I know my first time was intimidating, but I got lucky and ended up advancing. I think it would help our kids if they would even go watch the semi-state before they have to wrestle there. M'ville semi-state is a completely different atmosphere than most are used to wrestling in.

I actually just went through the draws and wrote down people I think have a chance.

Def. of chance= 1. the happening of events by accident 2. something that happens by accident 3. a risk or gamble 4. an opportunity

So dont say that these could not happen!

112- Floyd- has a shot with the way he is wrestling

119- Trujillio- needs to wrestle all 6 minutes though; tough ticket round match

125- Penn- pretty tough draw for winning regionals; back to back tough matches

Hicks- I actually think he got a better draw then Penn; not saying it wont be tough

135- Dorris- Got a great draw and is looking pretty good at the right time

140- Lynde- Has a tough draw but the Fresh wont be scared; Richmond will be hard to get by

152- Minix- with McMurry and Estrada on the other side could be in the finals

160- Dale- Looks like he has a legit shot

171- Rowe- has the toughest road; Berry and Hudso rough; but he hung with Atwood

McCoy- Good draw

Atwood- He'll pull it together and be the champ

189- Kepner- Buckingham will be a tough ticket round match

Kaufman- man on a mission; but will have to continue to wrestle tough

215- Tolle- just wrestling well right now

Hwt- Everett- rough ticket round; and it is heavyweight

189- I like Kaufman but he won't beateither Keith from Portage or Boyde from Mish.

Not saying he is going to win again without a doubt (I think he will) but Kaufman already beat Keith this year 5-0.  Can one of the Bomber guys on here tell me how that match went?  Did Randy control him all six minutes?

I am not gonna make any predicitions cause I know if you made it this far it is not a fluke and you deserve it!! and I know that on anyday most of these kids can be beat!!

What I am gonna do is say this don't count any of these Logan Reagional kids out they are very well coached and wrestle with alot of heart. The coaches in this area deserve alot of respect and alot of thanks Coaches Like Atwood, Spray, Hardy, Van der a, West Central, North White, Carroll just to name few ( sorry if I didnt mention your name or school) These coaches dedicate their life to this sport in small schools in central Indiana where basketball gets all the glory and AD's usually shove the wrestling team into a janitors closet and forget about them because they dont produce any revnue. These Coaches not only build great wrestlers but great men by teaching them pride, heart, dedication, sacrafice, responsibility, and accountability stuff that alot of kids never get taught in school these days!!! So my hat is off to all of the coaches in this region and across the state!!! Your Sacrafices are appreciated!!! If it wasnt for such a great wrestling coach I would not be the man I am today, so thank you Coach Atwood and staff you all know who you are. I only wish when my son is old enough to wrestle that he has a coach that is as great as the coaches in this area!!!

That being said I hope to see everyone from this area up at Mville cheering on all the kids from this area even if you don't have a kid up there! they all deserve our support they have worked very hard to get to this point! and for some of them it may be their last wrestling match ever!

P.S. sorry for any misspelling and the poor grammar should have paid more attention in english class lol

>:( Colt man come on there are sure to be a few dark horses slip thru :o

The way I see it we could even have over twenty :-X

Quit stroking Spray, his head is big enough :-\ How many SQ has Pion had in the last 9yrs

they are the ones hurting our Reg :-*

How many SQ have the bigger schools had lately LJ, Log, Har, Mc ???

Seems like some schools have not been carrying their fair share 8) (break it down Tim)

Even some of the schools like Ren, LC Which school has the most SQ the past 9yrs????

:)Thanks Tim, here i am being mean and you are killing me by being nice, stop it. Where will the rivilry go if we get along ???

Where will myself and Winamac be if you move away???

Can Berry pump up the Panthers if you leave or will the program sink to mediocrity and WC own the conference ;D

Everyone on the board will miss u ;D Who will carry on the fight for class wrestling (we will all miss u)

It has been fun and it has kept me motivated 8)

On another note about the Logan Regional getting guys through to state. I went back to 2001 and we have had no more than 9 and no less than 5 State qualifiers from our regional.

2001- 5

2002- 8

2003- 9

2004- 7

2005- 9

2006- 8

2007- 6

2008-7

I really believe we could hit double digits this year. I also believe that this area is going to continue to get better, and in a few years maybe start turning some heads.

And no worries Coaches, there will always be plenty of "rivalries" in this area!  :P

Exactly! I do not think we are that poor. Are we 5 or 6 below other regionals in this semi-state, yes, but that is nothing to be ashamed of. Our numbers will come up. No worries. Good Luck Spray and VanDerAa this Saturday at Semi-state!

the twin lakes semi state qualifier rundown

west central  1 of   8  :o

twin lakes      0 for 6

winamac        3 of 7

pioneer            3 of 6

logansport      5 of 8

logansport looked very good and so did pioneer.  their young guns are the real deal...delphi's atwood didn't dominate and rowe gave it his all only to lose in the last 15 seconds...winamac was about the way i figured. minix was very impressive.  twin lakes and west central not really a surprise either.....maybe i'm not so stupid afterall.  a real jerk sure, but the proof is in the numbers.  i know, i know, it's all about the draw...good luck to those who made it out.

hey man you forgot North White 2 of 4  8) thats 50% not to shabby

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.