Logansport Regional

DelphiHWT

Glad you see it my way.  No one would consider MD in any way typical or representative.

Why don't you enlighten us about whats not typical or representative about 3A Mater Dei??? 

1. ISTEP passing rate 20-25% above the state norm

2. 1% free, 1% reduced lunch.

3. 20% more students receiving honors diploma then state norm.

Why don't you enlighten us about whats not typical or representative about 3A Mater Dei??? 

Graduation Rate: 99%

Daily Attendance Rate: 98%

Graduate Information:

4-year college-university: 81%

2-year college: 14%

Military: less than 1%

Job Entry: 4%

Show me a public school with those numbers.

With your statistics you are saying we need the following:

PUBLIC Schools

1A

2A

3A

4A

5A

PRIVATE Schools

1A

2A

3A

4A

5A

SO NOW WE HAVE 10 STATE CHAMPIONS WALKING AROUND THE STATE OF INDIANA  ???

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I think all private/parochial schools should move up one class or have a multiplier applied to their enrollment.

Garrett, Rensellear(sp) and Mater Dei are all similar in size.  The biggest difference is if Johnny Smith walks in the door at Garrett and RC and lives in the school district they must accept him into the school.  At Mater Dei if he doesn't have $5K they do not have to accept him.

I love the state finals and the atmosphere it provides.  I'm not going to lie, its pretty cool to say you're one of the best 16 wrestlers in the state or top four or whatever.  I just think class wrestling would help the state by increasing participation and the fan base at the small school level where teams seem to be struggling more.

I agree with Y2, there is something to be said for being the ONLY state champ at your weight, but overall, I too have come to believe that class wrestling would be great for the sport.  I have had coaches who heard them speak at clinics say that in the last 5 years both Dan Gable and John Smith have basically said that we (Indiana) are missing the boat by not having multiple classes.  The overall depth and quality of wrestling would get better over the long run.  It doesn't seem to have hurt PA, OH, IA, IL, or MI at all.  From what I have read, wrestling is more popular in those states than in Indiana and even though we have been turning out some great ones lately, those states all produce more top level college wrestlers than we do. 

Here are my thought and comments on the class wrestling issue.  Let's take a look back over the entire history of the sport to the late 1960's.  I have examined and written down all the guys who were involved as wrestlers for RCHS.  A high majority of these guys are the leaders not only in our community, but in several other places throughout the country.  We have an amazing alumni organization whom keeps these records.  What does that mean in regards to wrestling you ask????  The mental development, attitude and fortitude which is developed within this sport and the challenges each wrestler  over came to be outstanding, are lessons which every wrestler remembers for a lifetime.  The desire to be the best, maybe in a local area or regional area, but I have always felt I wanted to be the best in my state where I work and operate.  I big picture is that this sport gave me the tools to compete on a much larger scale and a larger playing field.  I want these young wrestlers to be able to compete in the large arena.  Our world, nor customers doesn't care what class you came from, what the demand from you will always be is "an outstanding performance!"  "Teach your wrestlers how to compete in a larger environment and they will always  be outstanding in their lives!"  We need tough love and that means to me I think class wrestling is not necessary.  I think these wrestlers would be proud to say they competed and were successful in the State and not in their particular class! 

Football is a total team sport where an athlete learns how to interact on many different levels.  It creates deversified thinking as does any other sport which requires cooperation from many players to be successful.  The classroom environment teachs principles and theory.  To have knowledge from the classroom is not the key to success!  How one applies this knowledge and uses the knowledge in ones daily life is the key to success!  As far as class wrestling, my belief would be that the standard for success would be lowered.  That lower standard is not comfortable to accept!

So does RC not celebrate that sectional football championship from 2003 since it was in 2A right?

It does say class 2A sectional champs on the shirts, trophy and the patches on the letter jackets..  By they way, there have been a few others since the '03 season.  Just can't seem to get over the hump of regionals just yet.  Jimtown keeps getting in the way.  Class wrestling for team tournament or not, I pray the state does not mess with the individual tournament. 

Football is a total team sport where an athlete learns how to interact on many different levels.  It creates deversified thinking as does any other sport which requires cooperation from many players to be successful.  The classroom environment teachs principles and theory.  To have knowledge from the classroom is not the key to success!  How one applies this knowledge and uses the knowledge in ones daily life is the key to success!  As far as class wrestling, my belief would be that the standard for success would be lowered.  That lower standard is not comfortable to accept!

So I take it you don't like adding 224 kids to the semi-state level either, right?  The standard to be a semi-state qualifier has now been lowered.

Indiana allows the least percentage of state qualifiers in the nation, our standard is the highest, yet as a state in wrestling we are still mediocre.

basketball has slowly been dying, which is attributed to the class system.  i personally don't believe that would be the case in wrestling.  and I hope the powers that be would not let basketball's downfall weigh to heavily on a decision in wrestling should that come about.  small schools would definitely benefit the most; and since the majority of the schools in Indiana are of the smaller variety it seems to make sense to me. ;D

wrestling needs to make it's move NOW!  :-\

Can you explain how basketball is dying?  I know the state finals are thriving in that they sell out both sessions the past two or three years and get a higher attendance than single class wrestling.

Are you comparing the attendence for the team finals or the individual?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.