1.Brady Tolle, Lewis Cass, Fall

2.Travis Yoakum, Delphi

3.Curtis Vice, Laf. Jeff, Fall

4.David Marquez, North White

1.Wes Everett, Delphi, Fall

2.Zachary Mukai, Seeger

3.FN Lutz, Laf. Harrison, Fall

4.Kegan Clark, Logansport

Alot of good wrestling today the big suprise on the day had to be Ryne Bell 171 South Newton 33-0 coming into the day losing twice on the day first loss came from Tyler McCoy McCutcheon 32-3 in the second round and then losing to Derek Rowe Logansport 31-3 for third place

Sorry I dont have all the scores from the consolation matches

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to say great job to the Rensselaer Wrestlers.  I expected Kaufman to win his weight class, but Greene at 152 and Zellers at 160 moving on to Merrillville are a nice surprise.   

the twin lakes semi state qualifier rundown

west central  1 of  8  :o

twin lakes      0 for 6

winamac        3 of 7

pioneer            3 of 6

logansport      5 of 8

logansport looked very good and so did pioneer.  their young guns are the real deal...delphi's atwood didn't dominate and rowe gave it his all only to lose in the last 15 seconds...winamac was about the way i figured. minix was very impressive.  twin lakes and west central not really a surprise either.....maybe i'm not so stupid afterall.  a real jerk sure, but the proof is in the numbers.  i know, i know, it's all about the draw...good luck to those who made it out.

Mad Hungarian- I don't mean to burst your bubble, but I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to have figured that the Twin Lakes sectional was going to flounder at regionals!  Hell I'm surprised they did as well as they did considering it is without a doubt the weakest sectional in the state.  While we are on the topic of weak, just wait until next Saturday and you will see that the Logan regional is probabally the weakest regional in the state as well.  The Lafayette sectional will not do well at semi -state either!  I am only seeing maybe three individuals getting out of Merrillville from this regional this year and no champions.  Atwood maybe, but he better bring more game than he brought to Logan.  I was not even close to impressed, and I am a huge Atwood fan.  I have to say that it is a bit of an embarrassment to watch our logan champs get beaten first round every year.  I know these young men are doing the best that they can and they too have worked very hard.  Something has to be done to strengthen this area of the state. 

Never mind the fact that the twin lakes consists of a bunch of 1a and 2a schools.  The laf sectional itself it small compared to alot of other sectionals. The Laf sectionals have alot more resources than do the Twin Lakes Sectionals, such as numerous former college wrestlers wanting to stay around the Laf area and help out a local team.  Im happy to have a kid Like Scot Berry back in our program I think it will help at all levels, he wrestled 3 years at Milikan, but that is what we hope for that a kid in the program will come back and give back.  I have two solid assistants and between the three of us we try to run the whole program.. Meaning all levels.  I know this is the same with the other schools in our sectional .  Look at North White John Sandberg is back helping with their program but they still are only at 3 coaches.

Lets not discount again the enrollment sizes of our sectional teams please, I know some don't think its a factor but I will say those people are full of sh--.

TWIN LAKES SECTIONAL

Logansport       1313  (4a)

Twin Lakes       819    (3a)

Rensselaer        602    (2a)

Lewis Cass        532     (2a)

Winamac         462     (2a)

Pioneer             318      (1a)

North White   308      (1a)

South Newton308      (1a)

West Central   294     (1a)

Caston               273     (1a)

Frontier            262     (1a)

LAF.JEFF SECTIONAL

Laf. Jefferson    2337     (5a)

McCutcheon      1713     (5a)

Laf.Harrison     1640     (5a)

West Laf              679       (3a)

Benton Central 672       (3a)

Delphi                  522       (2a)

Seeger                  455       (2a)

Carroll                 352       (1a)

Attica                   266      (1a)

Laf.Cen.Cath      227     (1a)

Now lets put all this in perspective...

Laf Sectional (36) Qualifiers

List by School of qualifiers

Laf Harrison (9)

Delphi (9)

Laf.jeff  (6)

McCutcheon (5)

Seeger (4)

Benton Cent   (1)

Laf Cath (1)

West Laf  (1)

Twin Lakes Sectional (20) Qualifiers

List by School of Qualifiers

Logansport  (5)

Winamac  (3)

Pioneer (3)

Rensselaer (3)

North White (2)

Lewis Cass (2)

South Newton (1)

West Central (1)

25 of the 52 Qualifers were made up of the 4 Biggest schools in the Regional leaving the other 17 schools to fight it out for the remaining 27 qualifiers.  Delphi has had a great year and you take away those 9 you have 16 schools fighting it out for 18 spots. 

Delphi has had a great year they have some great studs but lets be fair they are great in our area I think they can compete with some of the bigger schools.  If we had team class like I think we should this team would be challenging for a state title and imo they should be.

People need to stop expecting this area to be little Chicago or Indianapolis, it is what it is.

Feel free to blast away

Tim Spray

Pioneer Wrestling

Congrats to all the teams in our Regional make us proud in the semistate

karl is right they need to work hard .  If the kids love the sport they will work hard look at those delphi kids you can tell they work hard every day. Coahes also have to work just as hard as the kids in  getting them ready for the season and off season .If is team effort to get better.

I am only seeing maybe three individuals getting out of Merrillville from this regional this year and no champions.  Atwood maybe, but he better bring more game than he brought to Logan.  I was not even close to impressed, and I am a huge Atwood fan.

Not even close to impressed?  Why for the fact that he did not pin every kid?  The rowe match was not a good match for him, but other than that he wrestled pretty well all day.  And as to not winning semi-state, i personally do not think he will have any trouble, i think it will be him and McCoy in the finals at semi-state.  Not everyone can wrestle perfect every match.  We will just see.  And who are the three kids you think will make it out of semi-state from the logan regional, cause i think there will be a few more than 3

These are the guys that i think have a legitimate chance to make it to state out of the Logan Regional judging by the draws that they got!!!!

Floyd

Trujillo

Penn

Hicks

McTigue

Dorris

Lynde

Minix

Dale

Atwood

McCoy

Rowe

Kepner

Kaufman

Tolle

Yoakum

HWT.

Everett

Yeah no surprise from Twin Lakes. Having 7 guys qualify for Regionals and not expecting one to get out that was me too. Haha. The great thing about this is we get 6 of those 7 kids back. Next year we will have a full team and getting the guys into summer wrestling should help as well. I dunno though with the coach being so short they might not be able to get better.

P.s. Sorry your brother didnt make it out Mad Hungarian.

Great information Tim.  I'm curious as to how many other regionals have 9 1a schools in them and 4 2a schools. 

to mad-how can you think winamac did like you expected when you have a man crush on their heavyweight and thought that he deserved to be on the podium at state?  It's hard for someone to be on the podium at state when you get pinned in the first round of regionals.  Yea, you are clearly looking really intelligent here mad. 

Wortie- Clearly you've never been a part of a small program if you think coaches working harder or kids working harder is possible.  If you really think that this is possible maybe you should go help out a small program and really see the hoops these coaches have to jump through and how hard these coaches work. 

First of all I do believe Atwood will probablyy win.  I am just saying that he does not look as strong as he has in the past, and he better show up if he does want the championship.  I do not care what those records say from those schools up north.  They spend all winter beating on each other.  Their great wrestlers are going to have more losses.  However,this semi state competition looks good for Atwood.  Secondly, I may have predicted in haste about only three individuals making it to state.  After scrutinizing the brackets a bit longer, maybe 4 or 5 at the most. 

112- Floyd will not beat Smith from Lake Central  (This kid is a stud)

119- Trujillio - I don't see him beating Hildebrandt from Penn

125- Ezera Penn is one of my picks to make it to state if he can get past Stevens from Mish. Penn (125 is a lot different then the 103 he wrestled last year)

125- Hicks won't beat Shrader from Mishawaka 

130- McTigue won't be able to touch Schurg from Crown Point

135- I like the look of Dorris from Pioneer, but I don't think he will beat Lewandowski from Plymouth

152- Minix is anther of my picks to make it out, but probablly as a 4th place finisher

160- I don't see Dale beating Rhein from Portage, but he may have a shot because this weight class is down a bit

171- Rowe from Logan won't beat Berry from Merr.

171- I think McCoy will lose to Sands from Han. Central

171- Atwood should win. (My 3rd pick to make it out of Merrillville)

189- Kepner will lose to Buckingham from S.B.R.

189- I like Kaufman but he won't beateither Keith from Portage or Boyde from Mish.

215- Yoakum has a good record but he needs to be more agressive to win two matches at Merrillville.  I don't see him beating the Coleman kid from Portage.  However they may have wrestled already at Delphi during the tournament for bad weather.  From what I saw at sectionals and regionals I say he loses to Coleman.

215- Tolle from Lewis Cass does look impressive.  I overlooked him with my prediction of only three making it out. ( He makes the 4th)

275- I know that I am going to take flack for this one, but I see Everett losing to Anderson from Highland.  However, we all know how unpredictabl heavyweight can be.

Things to keep in mind: 1. This is only My opinion and I have been known to be full of crap at times.

2. I hope I'm wrong.  I would love to see 15-20 guys represent us at Indy.

3. If  Im correct that is 4 wrestlers out of 56 going to state.  Two years ago only six made it out   

and last year only 8 made it out.  These numbers are discouraging.

I like Kaufman's chances at 189. He his wrestling his best right now when he needs to. He has already wrestled the Keith kid from Portage and beat him 5-0, so he knows he can beat him again if he wrestles. Gotta be ready for that first match and do not look ahead. I'm sure the Mishawaka kid will be tough as nails as well. Should be exciting. Good luck to Green and Zellers as well! Good luck to all Logan Regional kids.

;D Colt fan, i realize it is only your opinion but you do seem hard on the Logan kids. I think about 20 of them could get out.  ::) If only coaches and kids would work harder :-*

Tim and his staff work as hard as any in the state and to say that they may not have a SQ is tough for them. (Good luck to all Pioneer wrestlers) True the sect may be made up of small schools, Hey what do you want fro these guys??? ???

I am impressed with WC and what they accomplished this year and now look at Pio advancing 3 great job

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.