4th place out of regional

anchorwrestler

Even if a #4 never wins it gives that #1 guy a chance to wrestle and get the butterflies out of the way. By missing the first round some of the kids do not wrestle the first time until 1:00 or so in the afternoon. 4-5 hours of sitting around after weigh ins isn't a good thing.

I agree with that.  Even if the first round match is seen as a formality to many people, it is still a lot better to have than to sit around for 4-5 hours before wrestling.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once the brackets are evened out after sectionals, why should any wrestler ever get a free pass?  This is not the norm around the Country at any level.  I think most of you just don't like change.  If your all advicating the free pass, then only send 3 from Semi-state and let the first round at State have a free pass.  Isn't that basically the same thing?

Its funny how adding 224 more semi-state qualifiers is being praised by everyone, yet if you advocate adding 224 more state qualifiers people think its a travesty and ruining everything.

It wouldn't be bad to have a 32 man bracket at state. That's the way a lot of states do it.

What states do that other than California?

I worded that wrong. But since CA is the only other single class state and they have 32-man brackets, why can't we possibly have them. Now I do realize they are a lot bigger state. But if you look at multi-class states (which you apparently support) they have 16-man brackets. So a state like Ohio has 3 classes, so they have 672 SQ's compared to 448 SQ's if we had 32-man brackets. And some states have 4-5 classes.

Consider this...

It DOES get 56 more kids on the mat at least one more time.

Personally I have never been a fan of giving the Regional Champ a free pass into the next round right off the bat.   Sure there is the whole argument of "To the victor comes the spoils" and all that, but let's face it, wrestling is meant to HAPPEN,  not to be pushed through based on passed accomplishments.   If you are the #1 from one regional, you should be expected to given some showing of your abilities just like those looking to defeat you.  It's the core principle of our sport - COMPETITION.

I am ust waiting for the day SOMEONE decides the sectionals should be a Round Robin Team event.   Then the bickering will REALLY start.  Of course it is totally impractical to have it this way, but we currently start our Team Tourney out in an individual format...so the difference is a bit blurry really.

Let the #4's wrestle...Maybe they just might fool ya!

Well put B B! If In the end there can be only one! So let them werstle!

Y2... By reading some of ur post, I had the impression you were all about promoting the sport. Now I feel u talk both sides of your mouth.                    which is it?

I am just throwing out all the arguments I hear when discussing class wrestling.  Its funny how you can implement those same arguments into other discussions and yet, when I do they are dismissed as being ludicrous. 

Consider this...

Personally I have never been a fan of giving the Regional Champ a free pass into the next round right off the bat.   Sure there is the whole argument of "To the victor comes the spoils" and all that, but let's face it, wrestling is meant to HAPPEN,  not to be pushed through based on passed accomplishments.   If you are the #1 from one regional, you should be expected to given some showing of your abilities just like those looking to defeat you.  It's the core principle of our sport - COMPETITION.

I am ust waiting for the day SOMEONE decides the sectionals should be a Round Robin Team event.   Then the bickering will REALLY start.  Of course it is totally impractical to have it this way, but we currently start our Team Tourney out in an individual format...so the difference is a bit blurry really.

Hey BlueBolt, we know of a kid that was alt. last year and went to state don't we!! That goes to show you that some 4th placers are better than the 1st placers at a diff regional!!!

I can see both sides.... It was more competitive battling for the 3rd and final spot at the regionals. On the other hand it does for the most part give the regional champ a "warm up" match if you will (with few exceptions). I know a few wrestlers who were regional champs 3 or 4 times each and it seemed to kind of a disadvantage to sit around all morning waiting for the ticket round to wrestle. I'm sure most of the guys who won regional would like the morning match. One more thing to add which I have not seen brought up yet .. All the extra revenue that will be produce because of the extra wrestler this year at semi-state. The parents, siblings Grandparents, fans and teamates etc that will each have to pay to spectate..

I'm not taking any sides just looking at all the different sides of the situation. I'll be there watching regardless of any changes....

I think it makes sense to take 4.  We take 4 out of sectionals and 4 out of semi-state so why not regionals.  I'm fairly certain that a #4 seed will beat a #1 seed int the opening semi-state round.  At least there's 16 chances.  Let's face it some regionals are stacked at certain weight classes and others are not.

I can see both sides.... It was more competitive battling for the 3rd and final spot at the regionals.

And i still think it will be competitive for that 3rd place spot.

You really think someone is just gonna lose and not care?

Idk about you, but i wouldnt want a regional champ first round

Ill take my chances with the runner up, by taking 3rd place

So i dont think the competiveness will lower at all

Why should we be like other states?  We don't have class wrestling like most states in the country, why start now emulating the other states?  Most states are worse than us at wrestling, why try to be like those states in any way, shape or form?

we shouldnt be exactly like other states just take the good ideas(everything but class wrestling)...i hope this doesnt anger the almighty controller of the cool points

I never liked my regional champs having to sit a whole round waiting to wrestle.  I think it is a positive and happy to see it come about. 

I also see some 4's making it out.  Some regionals are much weaker than others and it is very possible that some 4's will make it thru.

I dont think it makes the 3-4 place match any less important.  Neither want to be the guy to wrestle a regional Champ right off the bat, so Im quite sure they both will be working hard to get the win.

Just my opinions of course

Coach A

Consider this...

Hey BlueBolt, we know of a kid that was alt. last year and went to state don't we!! That goes to show you that some 4th placers are better than the 1st placers at a diff regional!!!

We sure do...we were just talking about that Saturday!  What an awesome run!

Its ridiculous, this is watering down semi-state and what it means to be a semi-state qualifier.  Some kids work their butts off to be just a semi-state qualifier, now we are adding 56 more and it will mean less to be a semi-state qualifier.

:)

This doesn't sound like you are JUST trying to get some arguments started, you sound VERY opinionated about going back to the 12 man bracket at semi state.  Ridiculous?  No.  There may be SOME arguements against the new format, but it's not RIDICULOUS by any means.  More wrestlers get another week of competition, bigger gates at SemiState...it's far from ridiculous.  I'm not just saying this because our only qualifiers were 4th place finishers at regionals, but it makes sense to me.  And, I guarentee that there is AT LEAST one 4th place finisher at regionals that moves on to state.  Wanna wager against it?

For all of you that think taking a 4th place finisher is watering down semi-state, I suggest we go back to the way it was in the late 60's and early 70's..21 team two day sectionals advance ONE, 4 man regionals, advance ONE, four guys at STATE. Compared to that, everything in the modern era is watered down. What's the difference of having 4 more matches per weight class per semi-state, you can bet there WILL BE some regional champions beaten. There are ALWAYS semi-state champs beaten at STATE, so why not at this level?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.