Best summer camp for the $$$?

drewboy78

I have had some current and former wrestlers express interest in summer wrestling camps?  I know it is a bit early, but I was wondering what are some of the best camps at a good price (w/ the economy and all).  I attended the Baumgartner Camps in PA when I was in HS, but I was looking for something a bit closer and even a bit friendlier to budget.  Any review and recommendations are appreciated.  Thanks!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minimum 4 days -$200 -$350 - 3 sessions of instruction/live daily - preferably not commuter, but not beyond consideration.  Anything is worth consideration...just throw out some websites, recommendations, or info.

This is more expensive than your price range but it is worth every penny of it, I know some kids that went to a 10-day intensive jrobinson camp and it will completely change them and their work ethic, it cost around $900. Like I said it's worth every penny, a bunch of state placers go there, I know Ryan stahl was there and tons from other stAtes. Don't send a kid with a weak heart there though because they will want to go home, but if u have a kid that's willing to work hard and go to 4 practices aday that are a great workout, you should look into this option, it's worth it, trust me!

I can vouch for Garrett's obtaining of top flight clinicians for the last two years.  My guys have implemented a number of things as a result of being exposed to their knowledge.

The Garrett wrestling camp last year was $65 for three days of great instruction.

We will be holding a camp again this summer at The Culver Academies. Last year our clinicians were Mark Perry, JP O'Connor, and Andrae Hernandez. This year we are looking at having Mark Perry, Nate Gallick and hopefully one of the IU boys again. If you bring a team we will work out a VERY, VERY good deal for you. This is a camp where you will stay here. It was 5 days long with 3 sessions per day amongst the many other activities that take place here at Culver. We should hopefully have brochures ready to hand out come state finals time. The price was $350 last year (I believe) and that included the sessions (with some of the best NCAA wrestlers), room and board, t-shirt and other activities we did. If you have individual/team interest, please contact me.

Andy Nicola

CMA Wrestling

nicolaa@culver.org

I agree with mcgee on his choice for Wabash. This past year coach Anderson brought in two olympians,  Brandon Slay and Rulon Gardner. In the two years previous to that they have had Abas,Henson,Guerrero,and Joe williams. 

Last summer I believe they had about 170 kids.

Google Wabash Wrestling Camps for more info.

The Garrett wrestling camp last year was $65 for three days of great instruction.

hey Joe, have you put anything together for your camp this summer?

Not as of right now, but we are looking at around the same dates(late June) and I know the clinicians from last year area all interested in coming back.

Last year we had:

Coyte Cooper- Indiana All-American

Mike Ester- Trine University Coach

Shawn Nelson- Head Coach at the University of Findlay

Nick Weisjahn- great messageboard poster and Findlay wrestler

Eric McGill- Cornell wrestler

The year before we had:

Waylon Lowe- 3X DII Champ and future UFC fighter

Andy Uhl- DII Champ, 4X DII All-American

Tony Guerra- 2X DII Champ, 4X DII-All American

I went to the Super gold Chertow camp (3 weeks long) it was expensive but i learned how to wrestle...... Ive heard that alot of other camps it is all about conditioning with a little wrestling and this one is all about wrestling with conditioning mixed in.....  You also have some freedom at this camp during night sessions you can choose what moves you work on....  I recommend it if you have no life and want to take 3 straight weeks during summer to just wrestle..

do u guys have a date in mind for the Culver camp yet?

We will have this information by the time sectionals starts because we'd like to get it publicized a bit better. For some reason we have had less than 100 kids each year. The 2 years before last we had Jeff Buxton (head coach at Blair), Russ Cozart (head coach at Brandon, FL), and Coach Hump from LN. But for some reason no one ever comes (which isn't necessarily bad because there is more one on one time).

As soon as dates are figured out, I will post it and let everyone know. It truly is a great camp. Besides just our featured clinicians, you have the likes of Paul Young, Nick Viterisi, Kurt Kinser, ect walking aruond helping out as well!

Jeff Jordan Champ Camp is probably the most hardcore you can get. It's a great camp. You go to wrestle. You sleep on the mat. You wrestle on the mat. You eat in a barn. That's it. It's worth the money. And I suggest you go while you are in shape!

and any Purdue Camp. Leg attack is a great camp. And you get tons of matches in. AND the cheerleader camp is usually goin on at the same time =] haha. The food is amazing too!

CIA puts on some great summer camps as well. Check out wrestlingcia.com for info

My favorite camp was at Michigan University. It included session instruction, a wrestling tournament, as well as a team sport tournament (which included sports like football, volleyball, and softball.)  It was so much fun.  Also i learned so much during the sessions and had the opportunity to use the moves live during the tournament.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.