ASK THE RANKINGS GUY..

RankingsGuy

i've had this idea for awhile, i want to start this topic as a place for all of you to ask me questions about why someone is ranked a certain place, or not at all.  there is a method to my madness, and i think this would be a healthy discussion.  fire away!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great question clive..

in the beginning of the season i just started with every returning state qualifier (and at the weights where there weren't many i used ticket round guys) and put them at their new weight classes for this season. as the season progressed, i would see results of these kids, and use first head to head, then margin of victory, and then previous state experience to sort out from there.  when a kid decides to drop a weight, that is a different scenario...obviously in the case of a brandon wright, he beat eppert so he's number one.  but in the case of will sheets who was struggling at 130, he got ranked higher at 125 b/c he placed 4th at that same weight class last yr.

an injury or an inability to make weight pulls a wrestler back down to my "watch list" which consists of the next 8 to 10 guys to fill in the rankings at each weight which i do not post.  as soon as the wrestler is back in action, he goes back in his appropriate spt

If a guy moves up a weightclass and loses, how does that affect him?

Also, if a guy were to say win all but two matches and those were to ranked guys would you rank him higher than a guy that is undefeated against no ranked opponents?

t0 answer your first question, i would say that it depends on where both are in the rankings.  a top caliber kid at 152 for example should not be losing to an unranked 160 pounder. however, a kid who is towards the bottom of the rankings at a weight class may struggle with someone in a similar position at the weight above.

to answer your second question, kids are definitely not penalized for wrestling a strong schedule.  look at blake roytek for example.  no "quality wins" for example, but his close matches with the top guys show me that he will beat a kid that may have a better record but not have wrestled anybody

I think Hodges started the season ranked behind Graber at 189.  Then he went to 215 and was ranked 2nd behind Baker.  Then he lost to Cleveland and moved to 3rd at 215.  Now he has apparently moved to 189 where he is now ranked 2nd ahead of Graber who is to my knowledge still undefeated.  So how did that happen?

I think Hodges started the season ranked behind Graber at 189.  Then he went to 215 and was ranked 2nd behind Baker.  Then he lost to Cleveland and moved to 3rd at 215.  Now he has apparently moved to 189 where he is now ranked 2nd ahead of Graber who is to my knowledge still undefeated.  So how did that happen?

Graber's less than impressive win (5-2) over unranked Brett Worden who didn't place very high at the Al Smith, coupled with Hodges' close match at 215 with Cleveland at the Traicoff was enough to move Hodges past Graber at 189

If a ranked guy beats several ranked guys but has one bad match and loses against someone who isn't ranked what do you do?

this actually came up when i was ranking kieffer at 112 who has some nice wins and a state medal but was defensively pinned by unranked fisher from martinsville.  what i do is normally drop the kid down if there are kids in the same "tier" as him, which normally drops him down a couple of places, i have divisions of tiers that i also do not post.  from there, if he continues to pick up quality wins he'll move back up, but i definitely pay closer attention to him and more losses will drop him down farther

Now that we are in the month of January, how much does LAST YEARS performance weigh on your decisions as to whether a wrestler should be ranked or not?

It is only used as a guideline, and as you see, several kids with no state experience in the rankings..  However, for a kid to go from say a 7-22 record last year to being ranked in the state this year is kind of far fetched, so it all depends on the situation.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.