Coach Hugging after a kid loses?

SamDad

Well it depends on the situation, but for most kids after they lose they are preety heated so I believe the best thing to do is just let them cool down, don't say anything to them, and let it sink in then you can go and talk to them or do whatever

if they wrestle like they should wrestle and still lose...def give them a hug

if they didnt wrestle like they should, i wouldnt bother

also i dont like how other wrestlers just barely shake the other guys hand after losing and just pout off the mat.

i always look at the other guy and tell him good job, and then coaches too

I think it does really depend on the situation.  If a kid doesn't give his/her all out on the mat, then they might just get a handshake and a talking to later on.  If he/she leaves it all on the mat, then I'll tell them to keep their head up because they have nothing to be ashamed of.  As for my boys  ::) , they might get that talking to as they are leaving the mat  :-[  But, I do give them a lot of praise whenever they work their butts off and still lose  :)

It does depend on the situation, for example, if your kid just lost but he looked like he didn't want to be out there and just didn't care, it wouldn't work in that situation, but if it was an example like your kid just lost like a championship or in the ticket round to state then you can give them a hug.  It all depends on what the situation is.

I'm not a hugger, but shoulder/head pat I would say definitely. If they wrestle hard they deserve the congratulations win or lose. I've mostly been coaching JV this year and I tell them before the meet even that if they wrestle hard and learn something I'm proud of them win or lose. It's all about confidence and effort, as well as learning from mistakes if they make them.

It's tough enough being a kid.  If a kid thinks enough about me, our team, the program or whatever to spend his time with me/us I am proud of them.  There are way too many other things that a kid could choose to spend his time doing that are much easier.  Wrestling ain't easy if you are winning and is bordering on torture when you are getting your arse handed to you, god bless them for hanging in there, the least I can give them is the respect and admiration for being there regardless of the results.

I agree with some of the post. Personally I don't get into hugging but if my son or wrestler gave it his all and still lost than yeah he deserves some comfort. I have seen over the years kids looking at rankings and get scared before the match starts or they go out with a " I'm gonna get my buttkicked attitude ". Those aren't the ones that deserve any comfort. As much as like rankings and seeing how the other kids in the state are doing. I also find it as a distraction. I know when I wrestled I never looked at the rankings. This way if I found out I just beat someone ranked it was a confidence builder. I looked at everyone the same. Anybody could have their day. Back to the question if someone put alot of effort into it than yes they should get some comfort. 

I agree with some of the post. Personally I don't get into hugging but if my son or wrestler gave it his all and still lost than yeah he deserves some comfort. I have seen over the years kids looking at rankings and get scared before the match starts or they go out with a " I'm gonna get my buttkicked attitude ". Those aren't the ones that deserve any comfort. As much as like rankings and seeing how the other kids in the state are doing. I also find it as a distraction. I know when I wrestled I never looked at the rankings. This way if I found out I just beat someone ranked it was a confidence builder. I looked at everyone the same. Anybody could have their day. Back to the question if someone put alot of effort into it than yes they should get some comfort. 

OFF SUBJECT: i agree, i dont want to know who im wrestling.  Knowing your going out there and wrestling someone good just brings on anxiety and extra pressure. i just want to go out and wreslte my best, no matter who it is.

I find this poll to be quite ridiculous!  First of all not all hugs are meant to be congratulatory in their nature.  Oftentimes they are of a consolational gesture.

Most succesful coaches know when their wrestler leaves the mat,by his demeanor, if a hug, a pat on the head, or a spoken acknowledgement is appropriate for the situation.  Each losing effort results in different reactions as the youngster leaves the mat.  They know if a stupid mistake on their part was the reason for the loss or if they left it all on the mat and lost, their coaches reaction can be very important!

Therefore I, say there is no YES or NO answer, it calls for sound judgement and common sense, both of which are lacking in many instances in todays sport scene!

Respectfully, Uncle Sam

Personally I feel that a coach should always give their kids a boost of confidence no matter win or lose.  I am not saying that losing is ok and a couch shouldn't be hard on a kid  but it is a part of life.  What if a coach gave a little more effort in teaching the kids, that are not as gifted at wrestling, or any other sport for that matter, a lesson in applying themselves with a little more effort and hard work that they will become something that they thought they could never be?  Just the confidence boost and love could be all that is needed for that kid to survive in the world.

I am sure that most of the coaches of all sports do this but I know that there are a few that are in it for themselves.  Don't give up on the kids that are trying their hardest and don't meet your expectations,  for those are the ones that need a coach's hug and encouragement the most.

The cream will rise to the top but the real coach will keep whipping until they come to the top with nobody left behind.

I tend to be less affectionate than other mothers, especially when I'm matside trying to help "coach" my kid (which I think my teenager appreciates most of the time...lol)...however...sometimes kids just need a hug...win or lose.  If the coach doesn't mind giving a hug, and the kid doesn't mind receiving one (right after a loss), then what the heck...hug away  :)

I tend to be less affectionate than other mothers, especially when I'm matside trying to help "coach" my kid (which I think my teenager appreciates most of the time...lol)...however...sometimes kids just need a hug...win or lose.  If the coach doesn't mind getting a hug, and the kid doesn't mind receiving one (right after a loss), then what the heck...hug away  :)

I bet your a mom a son could be proud of!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.