# of times you need to wrestle at a wght class you want to wrestle at sectional?

armdragking

All wrestlers must have a minimum of six (6) ?qualifying? weigh-ins prior to Monday, January

26, 2009 which is the Monday prior to the sectional and the day of the seeding meetings.

The six (6) qualifying weigh-ins must occur between November 17, 2008 and January 26,

2009. Additionally, one of the six (6) qualifying weigh-ins must occur in the month of

January 2009 and at least one (1) of the qualifying weigh-ins must be at scratch weight for

the weight class the wrestler is entered into the IHSAA tournament series. A weigh-in at

scratch weight is defined as a wrestler weighing in at or below the actual poundage of the

weight class (i.e. ? a wrestler weighs in at 111.9 achieves a scratch weigh in for the 112

pound weight class)

A qualifying weigh-in occurs when a wrestler weighs in at or above his/her minimum weight

for that date as determined by the individual wrestler?s weight management plan. As per

IHSAA by-law 60-2.b, a weigh-in for a tournament shall count as one weigh-in toward the

total of six (6).

Technically you don't even have to wrestle a single match at the weight you decide to wrestle for sectional, just have to get enough qualifying weigh-ins.

All wrestlers must have a minimum of six (6) ?qualifying? weigh-ins prior to Monday, January

26, 2009 which is the Monday prior to the sectional and the day of the seeding meetings.

The six (6) qualifying weigh-ins must occur between November 17, 2008 and January 26,

2009. Additionally, one of the six (6) qualifying weigh-ins must occur in the month of

January 2009 and at least one (1) of the qualifying weigh-ins must be at scratch weight for

the weight class the wrestler is entered into the IHSAA tournament series. A weigh-in at

scratch weight is defined as a wrestler weighing in at or below the actual poundage of the

weight class (i.e. ? a wrestler weighs in at 111.9 achieves a scratch weigh in for the 112

pound weight class)

A qualifying weigh-in occurs when a wrestler weighs in at or above his/her minimum weight

for that date as determined by the individual wrestler?s weight management plan. As per

Thank you very much, that is exactly what I was looking for.

IHSAA by-law 60-2.b, a weigh-in for a tournament shall count as one weigh-in toward the

total of six (6).

Technically you don't even have to wrestle a single match at the weight you decide to wrestle for sectional, just have to get enough qualifying weigh-ins.

um....i went 130 at the end of the season last year and i heard you just need to make scratch weight once

i made that weight in and then we had the NIC tourney

so technically i only "officially" weighed in at 130 twice before sectionals

I heard you needed to make it by a certain date? I only remember this in one specific case but maybe it was something like the guy couldn't make enough weighins after the certain date.

The date you have to make the weight by is listed in the post by littlevito. He copied and pasted the rule in his post for everyone to see. That is not what he thinks or heard the rule says, it is the rule word for word.

From the rule posted above.

"All wrestlers must have a minimum of six (6) ?qualifying? weigh-ins prior to Monday, January

26, 2009 which is the Monday prior to the sectional and the day of the seeding meetings."

I heard you needed to make it by a certain date? I only remember this in one specific case but maybe it was something like the guy couldn't make enough weighins after the certain date.

The date you have to make the weight by is listed in the post by littlevito. He copied and pasted the rule in his post for everyone to see. That is not what he thinks or heard the rule says, it is the rule word for word.

Thanks, my friend just told me it was a kids last chance to make weight at the SACs the other day and he didn't. I think he said he needed it by January 2nd but maybe that was because he only had 5 chances after that. Again, thanks for the help.

wow i thought you had to have 10 matches at least or something

You do not have to wrestle any matches before the sectional to enter the sectional. What you are thinking of may be the guidelines to seeding the sectional. Part of the seeding rules are:

6. Consideration for determining seeded wrestlers is given in order of importance:

a. Head to head competition; (The wrestler with the most head to head wins

gets the seed. If they have beaten each other an equal number of times,

then the winner of the last match gets the seed.);

b. Record against common opponents;

c. A returning champion or runner-up in the same weight class;

font=Verdana]d. A contestant with the best overall record (winning percentage) who has

wrestled at least 10 matches;

NOTE: A wrestler with less than ten matches may not be seeded ahead of a

wrestler with at least ten matches and a winning record unless he/she

meets criteria in a, b or c. A wrestler with a losing record may not be seeded

unless he/she meets criteria a, b or c unless there are less than six (6)

wrestlers in the bracket[/font]

Thanks, my friend just told me it was a kids last chance to make weight at the SACs the other day and he didn't. I think he said he needed it by January 2nd but maybe that was because he only had 5 chances after that. Again, thanks for the help.

I am sure your friend does not understand the rule. IF the kid has only one  chance to weighin before January 26, 2009 and he makes the scratch weight for the class he wants to wrestle at the sectional then he would be ok as long as he has 6 qualifying weigh-ins. Most people get confused as to what a qualifying weigh-in is.

I think many people get confused as to what a qualifying weigh-in actually is. The wrestlers and their families are usually thinking about getting down to a weight and weighing less that whatever the kids weightclass is. The qualifying weigh-ins deal with weighing more that and certain weight instead of over that weight. For example a guy that is 340lbs on the first day they can do the body fat test (Nov. 3rd, 2008) can lose 1.5% of his body weight (340lbs x .015 = 5.1lbs) per week. So in this example a 340lb person could lose 5.1lbs per week according to his individual weightloss plan. If his team had a match on Nov. 17th he would have been able to lose (5.1 x 2 = 10.2) 10.2lbs. He would now be (340 ? 10.2 = 329.8) 329.8lbs. The guy is still way over the cutoff for the heavyweight class of 285lbs. He will not get to wrestle that night. He will be able to weigh-in and he does get a qualifying weigh-in if he weights 329.2lbs or MORE THAN 329.8lbs. (A qualifying weigh-in occurs when a wrestler weighs in at or above his/her minimum weight for that date as determined by the individual wrestler?s weight management plan.) Each time his team wrestles he would be able to weigh-in and get a qualifying weigh-in if he weighs what every his individual play says he can weigh that day OR MORE. One of these qualifying weigh-in must be in the month of January. In this example the guy who starts at 340lbs on Nov. 3rd will only get to actually wrestle on one day before the sectional meeting on January 26th. He would be able to weigh-in at 284lbs on January 24th and wrestle for the first time that year. He would then be able to wrestle at the sectional.

sounds like your friend meant it was the kids last chance to make scratch wght at a certain wght. he would still be ok for the heavier wght. I believe scratch has to be made by Jan 2 this year.

You are wrong, you can make scratch weight anytime before the sectional seeding meeting.  I have seen a few kids make the scratch weight when the 2lb allowance was in place.  That means that if a kid wanted to make scratch 135, they had to make 135lbs and not the 137lbs it would be after Jan 2nd.

So littlevito was misguided when he said "Technically you don't even have to wrestle a single match at the weight you decide to wrestle for sectional, just have to get enough qualifying weigh-ins."

ff

littlevito was right when he said "Technically you don't even have to wrestle a single match at the weight you decide to wrestle for sectional, just have to get enough qualifying weigh-ins." There is no rule that requires any wrestler to actually wrestle a match at the weight he will wrestle at sectional or wrestle at all before the sectional.  They just have to have the qualifying weigh-ins, one of which must be in January, and make the scrach weight one time before the monday before the sectional.

Just curious, if it has changed. People have told me several different things.

Back when I was coaching you needed 6 weighins at 145 if you were a 52 lber trying to cut down -you never actually had to wrestle a match -just beat the scales 6 times . HTH

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.