The Ultimate 2008

inmarine77

I had the chance to meet and talk to Frank MIr few months back and he is a stand-up guy. He talks to everyone like they are on his level. His intelligence and no-ego is what amazed me. He actually said he wasd thinking about taking away his own black belt and go down to brown. When most guys are givin belts. He only talked about how good everyone else was and never once talked about himself. That being said I know he will get better and work harder than anyone in UFC. And its showed.

i dont think its cause nog is old.I think its cause his sucks big time.look at his past two fights in the octagon.every fight his opponent knocked him on his butt, tho they didnt capatilize.Thats one thing Mir did.He saw that Nog was down.and BAM.he went in for the kill and did the right thing.

Most interesting part for me was that Mir won on his feet.  What was billed as two JJ fighters going for technical superiority ended with a crushing punch w/o a lot of time on the ground.  What if Mir brought this game plan against Lesner?  I can't see Lesner getting submitted so easily a second time.  It would be worth the price to see how these two problem solve the other's strengths.

i think you are right, brock getting submitted last time had a lot to do with inexperience in the cage.  of the three main aspects of mma, striking, grappling and submissions, i think that submissions tend to be most fighters weak link early on.

lesner smelled blood, and got sloppy in that first fight.  he said that he has been emphasizing that weakness in practice.  so i think if he is able to minimize that part of mir's game, his strenghths will be too much for mir to handle. 

• 2 weeks later...

Most interesting part for me was that Mir won on his feet.  What was billed as two JJ fighters going for technical superiority ended with a crushing punch w/o a lot of time on the ground.  What if Mir brought this game plan against Lesner?  I can't see Lesner getting submitted so easily a second time.  It would be worth the price to see how these two problem solve the other's strengths.

i think you are right, brock getting submitted last time had a lot to do with inexperience in the cage.  of the three main aspects of mma, striking, grappling and submissions, i think that submissions tend to be most fighters weak link early on.

lesner smelled blood, and got sloppy in that first fight.  he said that he has been emphasizing that weakness in practice.  so i think if he is able to minimize that part of mir's game, his strenghths will be too much for mir to handle. 

I think Mir will want to go to the ground ASAP. One hit from his mail box sized hands and Mir will be out, I think he felt a little of that last time. I am guessing he will try and back pedal to tire Brock out, then try to pull guard and go for a leg sub. I don't even know if you could get a rear naked choke around Brocks neck! ;D

Nogueira has just taken too much abuse. Normally, he weathers the storm early and then uses his superior conditioning to beat opponents later in the fight. The blows that dropped Nogueira would've been shrugged off in the past. The guy that lost to Mir is a shell of the fighter that dominated Pride before Fedor. Mir wrecked him, but Minotauro looked awful.

I couldn't agree more. He seems to have fallen fast though. That kick he took square to the face from Herring might have had something to do with it. He eventually shook that off too and came back to win. But he didn't look the same at all after that. He had no bounce in his step and is usually a fair to good boxer. He stood in front of a slow and (surprisingly) fat Mir and blocked punches with his face. Sad.