Best Coaches?

Boot

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DR. Kenny Wallace sure built a couple programs up when he was at Pike Central, Vincennes, and Princeton. He could kids to wrestle. He taught me how build a program. DR. Wallace is a Supt. in Chicago these days but, he always attends the state finals. His son is coaching at Greensburg.

Chauncey McDaniel - I.U. great and Southport coach, long considered the Dean of Indiana wrestling .

John Hurrle - Won two state titles at I.P.S. Tech H.S. Coach Hurrle was a great man who gave discipline the old fashioned way. Coach took care of the kids in his program well beyond the wrestling mat, his influence can still be seen today.

Phil Strader, Pete Macnamara and John Hurrle started the ISWA, helping to create a situation where Indiana wrestlers could train in the off-season.

Royce Deckard and Lance Rhoades- both intense and both are class acts.

Tom Cameron - a wise man who got his point across using tact instead of yelling.

I never meet Coach Mcdaniel but I am glad to have had the privilge of meeting and knowing the rest of these coaches.

Vlink started in early to mid 80's and had the team of the region during that period.  Beginning in the 90's Portage started to come up.  From '95 to '98 Coach Tharp had a dual record of 96-4(I think).  Four time state qualifying and one runner-up finish.  Three state champs and many placers.  I know it was a short period, but that is an impressive job even for a short time.  And you also have to throw in there that his assistant was Pendoski, who revitalized the kids program in Portage.  He continued Portage's dominance after he took over in '99.(I am not from Portage)

How many state titles did Portage win?

I don't know how many state titles Portage has won, but it does take a great coach to knock off THE 9-time defending state champs in Evansville Mater Dei back in the heated team state of 2004.

Coach Mike from Md is the obvious choice.

Lance Rhodes was a piece of garbage. If you read the IHSAA sportsmanship portion, it pretty well is 180 degrees from Coach Rhodes. Also, Royce is an excellent coach, but don't forget at his last two stops he has had huge pools of athletes to choose from. He is, however, an excellent coach. Rhodes, not so much.

David maldonado-  He always has a tuff team and can compete with just about anyone in the state.  He has done great things and really helped those kids become as good as they are.  He has only been a coach at Merrillville since 03' and has had 4 state champ,  2 of those were national champs,  and a hand full of placers.

Some of you old timers might remember him I would say small school coaches.  One of the best ever was Joe Burvan from Rensselaer.  He started the program in 68 and coached until he died in 95.  He always had the kids ready.  Very rarely had a state caliber kid but competed harder than most.  Unfortunately the program hasn't been the same since.  He lived for the sport.

Don't forget he was also inducted into the hall of fame as well.

"How many state titles did Portage win?"

I'm not sure if this was an honest question or just sarcasm but it's a moot point, regardless. Using that logic, Alex Dolly and the like would not be considered "great wrestlers". State championships are a very small part of what makes a coach great, in my opinion. What Williams has done at LN is impressive but when he took over, they had a fairly strong program. The same cannot be said for Portage (pre Tharp/Pendoski). Either way you slice it, Williams and Pendoski have done/did a tremendous job at their respective schools. IN MY OPINION, if I had to give the nod to one of the two...no doubt, Pendoski.

I think the better comparison would be to see which staff is better looking...the Portage 04-05 coaching staff vs the 08-09 LN staff.

Hinkel/Mundell vs Weimer/Gondol

No contest here.  Anyone who has been in the checkout line at the grocery has seen the cover of Vogue and knows that gangley stick figures are in style.  Even though Weimer makes a good attempt.

Advantage Portage

Tharp vs Douglas

Both bald and soft spoken.  Only one has been described in the newspaper as a wad of muscle.

Advantage Portage

Alaniz vs Williams

Jared makes good effort, but can he really be expected to compete here vs. the 5' latin?

Advantage Portage

Might be a shut out if Portage can get the right matchups.

Man, I am a little shocked this is even being debated. We have always told our kids they have the best looking staff in the state. I figure that's worth at least 3 points a dual due to the aura of confidence we have.

This is how I see it:

Pendoski vs. Williams - Ed has too much body hair to have a fighting chance in this match up and he works out too much. There is just a lot more of me to love.

Tharp vs. Douglas - I'll give the nod to Douglas. Tharp is a beautiful person on the inside. But I've seen Douglas in action in Broad Ripple too many times.

Hinkel vs. Weimer - In the battle of the receding hairlines, I take Weimer. I think he got started on Rogaine last year and it's made a big difference.

There are a ton of great coaches in the state. Being from the central section, I will keep my comments targeted at that area of the state. In no particular order, other then how they pop into my mind as I type.

Ed "wad of muscle"Pendoski

Jarrad Williams

Jim Tonte

Royce Decker

JD Minch

Cale Hoover

Tim Wright

Chad Redd

Lance Ellis

Coach Humphrey

Dulaney

I am sure there are many that I failed to mention, but each of the men listed above have given of there time and talents to help kids that they would never see on their own mats, but would be competing against them at sometime either now, or in the future. All any of them wanted to do was to make the sport better, and to help produce quality kids as a result.

Scot Hutcherson asst. at Warsaw.  This man can coach 103pounders up too 285 and bring out the true wrestler in every kid not only on the mat but in the classroom!  He can fine tune any wrestler at any level and gets alot of respect from the boys. He encourages kids too take wrestling  too the next level and use the experience too excell in all aspects of life!!!! 

• 1 month later...

i dont know why cpach mike smorin from S.B. riley has not been mentioned yet he is getting inducted into the hall of fame this year and is working with the riley squad now for the past couple years and he and coach flatt always have their wrestler ready

Although I agree with all of the others regarding the exceptional coaching skills of former Portage and current CIA man, Ed Pendoski, unlike most of the others, I can spell his name correctly:

[move]P-E-N-D-O-S-K-I     there's no "w"[/move]

Although's Ed's dedictaion to wrestling is unquestionable, his dedication to Michigan football is sorrowful  ;)

Michigan could have used that "W" this year ;D

Some Southern Coaches to look at would be

Coach Thraser- New Albany

Coach Clipp- Corydon Central

Coach Jones- Jennings County

Coach Caple, Both of them- Floyd Central

Coach Black - Madison

Coach Cooke- Providence

Coach Hazuga- Jeffersonville

Coach Kendrick- Charlestown

All of them are or were a great coach and should be considered for the Hall of Fame. Some have already been Inducted. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.