New IHSAA State Series Alignments

Y2CJ41

It takes a special person/quality to be an honorary #TheCounty member!!!!! I am honored to be of that quality and look forward to reopening #TheCountyTMZNorthBureau once given the ok from my #Boss #TeamGarcia!! Although I will be taking my talents over to the college board to try to stir some life into that section..so maybe there's room for southern representation for #TheCounty.

To MattyB's point...sure looks like there are a lot fewer teams at the Pamulak duals in Iowa than there were 5 years ago. And definitely not a lot of IN representation at the CK USAW event for sure. Guess #SpringBreak in Iowa just doesn't appeal to the millenials.

And definitely not a lot of IN representation at the CK USAW event for sure. Guess #SpringBreak in Iowa just doesn't appeal to the millenials.

But we are sending some quality kids.  I'm taking a couple of guys over and looking forward to seeing how we stack up against some state champs from other states.  The plus side of not too many IN guys is that we don't have to drive 6 hours to wrestle somebody we live an hour away from!

Each coach should have their Principal and athletic director write or call IHSAA and their State representative.  35 years ago they attempted to change and the IHSAA changed after poplar opinion expressed them selves.

Still haven't seen the names on the committee.

Maybe the Russians are responsible for this.

I bet that 90% of the coaches involved in the re-alignment committee will not respond, they will just sit behind closed doors. I was not aware of any meeting or conversation that they had with our head coach to ask on suggestion or opinions.

We had a conversation at the sectional seeding meeting about it. Don't know where you were.

I find it funny that the Duneland Conference has half their teams in 1 sectional, another has 2 teams, and Portage and Merrillville are in a sectional by themselves.

Can you explain why that is funny?  We were in the Laporte Sectional until 4 years ago.  At that point it was Chesterton, Laporte, Michigan City, and ourselves.

The realignment that was recently decided upon was done so by the IHSAA. 

The committee that convened was formed to help provided suggestions for the realignment, but did not have the final say in the sectional alignment.  The IHSAA seemed to follow the committee’s suggestions in some circumstances, and also their own direction at other times. The IHSAA runs the tournament and has the right and ability to set it up in any way that they choose.  

As a member who served on the committee I can tell you that the meeting was ran in a very cordial and professional manner.  Each member took their job seriously, and worked toward producing an alignment that met the goals of both the IHSAA and the wrestling community.  Any inference of collusion, cheating, or underhand dealings by those on the committee are completely nonfactual and have no basis in reality

It is funny because they could have easily put 2 Duneland schools in each sectional Merr and LC, CP and Valpo, Port and Chest, and then LaPorte and MC. Not very hard to do when realigning sectionals.

Did you guys have the meeting before the sectional seeding meeting started? I was there during the seed meeting. Or maybe you had it after the seed meeting? The only talk I heard was from Jim, who stated that Calumet was not going to host the sectional or regional anymore. Why did Griffith and Hobart not state that they would be hosting?

The realignment that was recently decided upon was done so by the IHSAA. 

The committee that convened was formed to help provided suggestions for the realignment, but did not have the final say in the sectional alignment.  The IHSAA seemed to follow the committee’s suggestions in some circumstances, and also their own direction at other times. The IHSAA runs the tournament and has the right and ability to set it up in any way that they choose.  

As a member who served on the committee I can tell you that the meeting was ran in a very cordial and professional manner.  Each member took their job seriously, and worked toward producing an alignment that met the goals of both the IHSAA and the wrestling community.  Any inference of collusion, cheating, or underhand dealings by those on the committee are completely nonfactual and have no basis in reality

Then why is it so hard to post which coaches were part of the committee as well as the rationale behind their suggestions? 

Then why is it so hard to post which coaches were part of the committee as well as the rationale behind their suggestions? 

1. I do not have a list of all of the coaches who were there, it was an IHSAA committee not an IHSWCA.

2. We were specifically asked by commissioner Faulkens to not discuss the meeting.

Edited by buscowrestling

1. I do not have a list of all of the coaches who were there, it was an IHSAA committee not an IHSWCA.

2. We were specifically asked by commissioner Faulkens to not discuss the meeting.

I appreciate your transparency. The fact that nobody knows the full roster of participants is troubling, to say the least. What is more troubling is that the IHSAA does not want to disclose who was there or what took place. I'm not accusing anyone of anything, just looking for some rationale on why certain changes were made. The fact that you were instructed not to discuss the meeting creates suspicion, in my opinion. 

We (Mt. Vernon) were assigned a new sectional 2 years ago on a whim. It was released the Thursday of the first week of the season. The reason given was ourselves and Tecumseh "in theory" drive past each other to attend our sectionals. Yes, you're right...it had been that way for 4 years...why the change then all of the sudden? Why, if that was a concern, was it not addressed in the original realignment?

So if the logic for moving us was travel & mileage...how do they explain moves like Floyd Central? 

These changes are head-scratching. Why change us and Tecumseh 2 years ago AND make this change now? Why not make them all at once?

The coaches at the Castle regional took a "straw poll" and it was a lopsided vote. We voted to KEEP the regional at Castle. But a big-wig in EVSC scratching the right backs in Indy got the Regional moved to one of "his" gyms. 

Why the lack of transparency? Why the secrecy? 

Unfortunately this problem will not change until the "administration" changes. I have never understood why a non-wrestling person is in-charge of wrestling?

Edited by alcorntr

Each member took their job seriously, and worked toward producing an alignment that met the goals of both the IHSAA and the wrestling community.  

What were the goals of the IHSAA?

What were the goals of the wrestling community?

BBB if its such a "tinfoil hat conspiracy" thing than why all the secrecy on some obvious head-scratcher moves?

I get it, it seems people want something to blame and be mad about...welcome to the internet circa 2002...doesn't mean that people haven't posted valid concerns orquestions that in all honesty should be able to be easily answered.

Gentlemen, there are obviously a ton of questions about the meeting that the IHSAA held. Obviously the committee was asked to remain quiet about what took place during the meeting, and I have been attempting to shed some light, while still respecting the wishes of the IHSAA. There are obviously still some questions so I'll try to answer them without giving too much detail as to respect the IHSAA.

Why the lack of transparency?

This is impossible to answer without making a ton of inferences into why the IHSAA asked that of the committee. Your free to make those inferences, but I can't stress enough that this meeting was handled in a cordial, professional manner by well respected coaches representing the whole state, from schools of all sizes.

Goals of the IHSAA and the wrestling community?

Really they are the same, to create the most fair tournament given general geographic restrictions.

Why won't the community members say who they are?

I can't answer for anyone beside myself, but I can say that any hesitation that I had in responding is based on the fact that we were asked to not say anything about the meeting, and also the fact that there was nothing that was at all controversial about the meeting- any controversy on here is in the posters imagination.

So speaking in generalizations here is what happened.

Coaches with-in each semi-state looked at a map of the state, they discussed and drew up what they felt would be fair sectionals, regionals, and semi-states based largely upon geography and creating a "better" tournament. Better was not defined nesacarilly, but the general idea was to make the tournament more fair and equal. There was some instruction to try and toughen up some sectionals and weaken others to make things more fair.

Then the group came together and went through each sectional and made suggestions that the entire group had to in some way agree with. In the end a map was made that contained changes the group felt met the criteria we worked with-in.

I think it's also very important that you understand this point- the committee simply made suggestions, the final tournament draw was not exactally what the committee suggested in any way. There were things that were suggested that made the final draw, but a lot of the changes must have came from the IHSAA.

So I just want to reiderate that the committee held a fair meeting to discuss possible changes to make the tournament better, and made suggestions to the IHSAA, and that is litterallly all that happened. I hope this puts some of your conspiracies/ fears/ questions to rest.

Edited by buscowrestling

I don't have a dog in the fight I would be curious if there was a map that had all the sectional borders done and see if there is any weird overlap

You may need to ask the Russians for help..... 

Here are the four Semi States since google maps only allows a certain number of layers...I kinda did my own borders based on the schools 

East Chicago - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YnPPeTHV-ibwHKEmN9C0CMgbXoY&usp=sharing

Fort Wayne - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PzP5Q_QCYBek5NuKH3H47x2O_Io&usp=sharing

New Castle - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1po66XQp-Zj_tM-PefepnxyuuCt8&usp=sharing

Evansville - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Cs3pGqHsBosEdpBNsxg5HKflvWA&usp=sharing

Id recommend a computer to view as I am not sure how the mobile experience will be....you should be able to click on each sectional and the list of schools and my border should pop up

Over all it looks pretty good with only a few head scratchers.....

After looking at that map you made (which is great by the way) I still can't understand why HSE and Fishers goes to the Frankfort sectional instead of Elwood. I am assuming their route to Frankfort for sectional and then to North Montgomery to Regional involves I69 and 465 (that is the fastest route for me going from Crawfordsville back home to Anderson) where they literally pass just about every school in the Lawrence Central sectional on their way.

Edited by swain358

Here are the four Semi States since google maps only allows a certain number of layers...I kinda did my own borders based on the schools 

East Chicago - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YnPPeTHV-ibwHKEmN9C0CMgbXoY&usp=sharing

Fort Wayne - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PzP5Q_QCYBek5NuKH3H47x2O_Io&usp=sharing

New Castle - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1po66XQp-Zj_tM-PefepnxyuuCt8&usp=sharing

Evansville - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Cs3pGqHsBosEdpBNsxg5HKflvWA&usp=sharing

Id recommend a computer to view as I am not sure how the mobile experience will be....you should be able to click on each sectional and the list of schools and my border should pop up

Over all it looks pretty good with only a few head scratchers.....

Is Fabio also the geography teacher at Brownsburg.  He did a good  job on the maps.  Based on the Scholar's analysis,    I see a lot less Gerrymandering than I thought.  I don't see significant overlap.    I wish our congressional districts were like these.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.