Best individual rivalries among current wrestlers.

MattM

Coach McGinley's post about Bailey getting a rematch against #4 in the country Zack Donathan this weekend got me thinking about what other individual rivalries are occurring around the state this year.  

Ranked guys who have meet multiple times this season.  Wrestlers who have had a few close matches in previous years and will be face each other again this season.  Those who have collided in crucial part of a last years state tournaments and will likely meet up again this year.  

Edited by MattM

Rumph v. Black.  (Saw each other the entire postseason last year)

Poynter v. Triana. (''")

Harvest, (could have been) Al Smith, (could have been) Garry Burkhart, then the entire state series it could happen as Portage and Hobart are in the same Sectional.

Edited by leggin89

Everyone in da region gets along so nicely. Before the matches they are showing eachother pictures of their kids and dogs. Even during the match it is not uncommon to hear the coaches shout congratulatory phrases to one another after big matches.

A good match to watch this weekend would be 126 Davis (Leo) vs Hall (Huntington North). The last time they wrestled was at the North Montgomery Holiday Duels. Hall was victorious with a 8-6 OT victory. Both wrestlers have exactly the same record coming into this weekend. And the winner of said bout would be wrestling (I assume) Becker (Bellmont). So maybe it'll be a chance for Davis to get some revenge (was beaten by Becker the previous year at the same tournament, and beaten again this year), or Hall to try and make a name for himself

A good match to watch this weekend would be 126 Davis (Leo) vs Hall (Huntington North). The last time they wrestled was at the North Montgomery Holiday Duels. Hall was victorious with a 8-6 OT victory. Both wrestlers have exactly the same record coming into this weekend. And the winner of said bout would be wrestling (I assume) Becker (Bellmont). So maybe it'll be a chance for Davis to get some revenge (was beaten by Becker the previous year at the same tournament, and beaten again this year), or Hall to try and make a name for himself

I wouldn't call that a rivalry just because there has been one good match.

I wouldn't call that a rivalry just because there has been one good match.

You may be right, Idk haha. What you might consider more a rivalry at 26 is Hall and Ledesma (East Noble). After beating Hall at the first tournament of the season, Hall has came back and won their next two encounters, with a few point spread. Maybe Ledesma might get some blood tomorrow! Also, Hall and Davis will most likely see eachother again at the New Haven Sectionals

One of the best was 1998 I think josh hardy (Princeton) vs Jared Williams (Harrison). Williams beat Hardy 3-4 times during season and Hardy winning it in the finals.

this thread is for current wrestlers you noob... now go sit in the corner and think about what you've done ...

I think Joe Lee and Austin Bethel from Mt.Vernon have a decent rivalry. Can't remember if it was last season or the season before that Bethel pinned him. Every match seems to be pretty high energy and fun to watch.

It was last year in Sectionals.  It was the previous year that he beat Brayton Lee in the ticket round at Semistate.  Joe won 5-0 earlier this year at the MD Classic.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.