State Champions?

bluechipper

Now, that the conference tournaments have concluded and we are a week away from entering the postseason, who are your final picks for this year's IHSAA state tournament?

106: AJ Black, Shenandoah

113: Asa Garcia, Avon

120: Cayden Rooks, Columbus East

126: Graham Rooks, Columbus East

132: Breyden Bailey, Cathedral

138: Brendan Black, Hobart

145: Brayton Lee, Brownsburg

152: Joe Lee, Evansville Mater Dei

160: Christian Warren, Perry Meridian

170: Jake Ruberg, Lawrenceburg

182: Nate "The Great" Walton, Brownsburg

195: Tristen Tonte, Warren Central

220: Mason Parris, Lawrenceburg

285: Robert Samuels, Lawrence North

NOTES

106 - As wide open as ever, you can never be sure, but AJ Black is a stud.

113 - Asa Garcia has been hot all season after his inaugural run, but look for Alec Viduya to make waves in this weight.

120 - Cayden Rooks has one lone blemish on his record, but come postseason, I see no one beating him.

126 - This weight class is SCARY. Depending upon finshes at Semi-State, Saturday morning draws could be crucial. We could and most likely will see Mulkey, Cummings, White, DLP, Slivka, and Rooks facing off against one another in that round.

132 - Jeremiah Reitz is a state champion, but I don't see him knocking off Bailey should we get this match in the finals.

138 - Brendan Black is the top pick should he be healthy, but I'm not counting out Rumph or Melloh (who I think we'll see in the finals).

145 - Brayton Lee is the Alpha Dog at this weight and I don't see anyone coming in distance of him come February.

152 - Joe Lee is the Alpha Dog at this weight, but I just have a feeling a stud from the southside of Indianapolis is going to give him all he can handle and dish some revenge for old comrade B. James...

160 - Brad Laughlin is the #1-ranked at this weight, but Warren has been solid all year, and I don't think there is anyone he can't beat. He's go, go, go, and that will be the difference maker.

170 - While Van Horn is the man right now, Ruberg will be the man that night. There's just something about February that makes the lights shine the brightest for some wrestlers. My gut feeling is Ruberg is one of them.

182 - Nate "The Great" Walton has been seemingly untouchable this season. Lucas Davison will be a tough task, however. He's been solid all year, and will test Walton come state in the semis or finals.

195 - This weight class... Three potential state champions in this weight alone. Andy Davison, a Fargo champion and AA, has been great, as usual. Stewart, who I pegged as a potential four-timer when he first came in 2014, has been lights out this year, but his arch-nemesis, Tristen Tonte is my pick to win this weight class. It must be his Italian spirit and the great Jim Tonte's genes in his son that make this kid nasty and clutch during the postseason. #STATECHAMPLOADING

220 - Mason Parris... And it's not even close.

285 - This is another weight class that's so hard to call. We have two undefeated wrestlers holding spots #1 and #2, but Samuels got HOT last year, and I expect nothing less from him this year. Evan Ellis is wrestling as great as ever, and Bus McWilliams is tough as nails with that freight train double. I can see all three being crowned champion, but I'm going to go ahead and call it for Samuels. Don't count out Jessie Lawson from Carroll or the man, Slick Rick Clark, either, baby (that kid has been on fire).

NC - 7

EV - 6

EC - 1

FW - 0

Edited by bluechipper

Now, that the conference tournaments have concluded and we are a week away from entering the postseason, who are your final picks for this year's IHSAA state tournament?

106: AJ Black, Shenandoah

120: Cayden Rooks, Columbus East

126: Graham Rooks, Columbus East

152: Joe Lee, Evansville Mater Dei

160: Christian Warren, Perry Meridian

170: Jake Ruberg, Lawrenceburg

182: Nate "The Great" Walton, Brownsburg

195: Tristen Tonte, Warren Central

285: Robert Samuels, Lawrence North

NOTES

106 - As wide open as ever, you can never be sure, but AJ Black is a stud.

113 - Asa Garcia has been hot all season after his inaugural run, but look for Alec Viduya to make waves in this weight.

120 - Cayden Rooks has one lone blemish on his record, but come postseason, I see no one beating him.

126 - This weight class is SCARY. Depending upon finshes at Semi-State, Saturday morning draws could be crucial. We could and most likely will see Mulkey, Cummings, White, DLP, Slivka, and Rooks facing off against one another in that round.

132 - Jeremiah Reitz is a state champion, but I don't see him knocking off Bailey should we get this match in the finals.

138 - Brendan Black is the top pick should he be healthy, but I'm not counting out Rumph or Melloh (who I think we'll see in the finals).

145 - Brayton Lee is the Alpha Dog at this weight and I don't see anyone coming in distance of him come February.

152 - Joe Lee is the Alpha Dog at this weight, but I just have a feeling a stud from the southside of Indianapolis is going to give him all he can handle and dish some revenge for old comrade B. James...

160 - Brad Laughlin is the #1-ranked at this weight, but Warren has been solid all year, and I don't think there is anyone he can't beat. He's go, go, go, and that will be the difference maker.

170 - While Van Horn is the man right now, Ruberg will be the man that night. There's just something about February that makes the lights shine the brightest for some wrestlers. My gut feeling is Ruberg is one of them.

182 - Nate "The Great" Walton has been seemingly untouchable this season. Lucas Davison will be a tough task, however. He's been solid all year, and will test Walton come state in the semis or finals.

195 - This weight class... Three potential state champions in this weight alone. Andy Davison, a Fargo champion and AA, has been great, as usual. Stewart, who I pegged as a potential four-timer when he first came in 2014, has been lights out this year, but his arch-nemesis, Tristen Tonte is my pick to win this weight class. It must be his Italian spirit and the great Jim Tonte's genes in his son that make this kid nasty and clutch during the postseason. #STATECHAMPLOADING

220 - Mason Parris... And it's not even close.

285 - This is another weight class that's so hard to call. We have two undefeated wrestlers holding spots #1 and #2, but Samuels got HOT last year, and I expect nothing less from him this year. Evan Ellis is wrestling as great as ever, and Bus McWilliams is tough as nails with that freight train double. I can see all three being crowned champion, but I'm going to go ahead and call it for Samuels. Don't count out Jessie Lawson from Carroll or the man, Slick Rick Clark, either, baby (that kid has been on fire).

NC - 7

EV - 6

EC - 1

FW - 0

If the over/under for EC/FW is 1 champ. I'll take the over! 

106: Brayden Curtis, Yorktown

120: Ty Mills, Brownsburg

126: Blake Mulkey, Brownsburg

160: Brad Laughlin, Yorktown

170: Burk Van Horn, Franklin Community

182: Nate Walton, Brownsburg

195: Andrew Davison, Chesterton

285: Isaiah McWilliams, South Bend Washington

Notes:

120: is a tough weight class whoever shows up on their game can win it 

126: Colton can take this still

152: anyone can win in top 3 Hatch and Warren look to give lee all they got!

195: Tonte is my second choice for champ! Andrew Davison seems on fire

106: Brayden Curtis, Yorktown

120: Ty Mills, Brownsburg

126: Blake Mulkey, Brownsburg

160: Brad Laughlin, Yorktown

170: Burk Van Horn, Franklin Community

182: Nate Walton, Brownsburg

195: Andrew Davison, Chesterton

285: Isaiah McWilliams, South Bend Washington

Notes:

120: is a tough weight class whoever shows up on their game can win it 

126: Colton can take this still

152: anyone can win in top 3 Hatch and Warren look to give lee all they got!

195: Tonte is my second choice for champ! Andrew Davison seems on fire

Disagree with your 152 assessment.  Joe Lee is one of the top 3 locks this year, along with B. Lee and Parris.  I'm sure Hatch and Warren will give everything they've got like you said, but it would be a HUGE upset if Lee doesn't win.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.