Maximum allowance

AlaskanMountie

Here is the real question.  If you let a 106, 113, 120, 126 pounders to weigh 2 over does the weighin the following week count as a qualifying weighin because all 4 of those weight classes would have to lose more than 1.5% in order to get back down to their weight class the following week.  I know when we ran into this this year I only allowed those guys 1lb just to be safe.

As long as you have your 6 qualifying weigh ins it doesn't matter

It may matter for the light weights come Sectionals at least due to the interpretation (they have varied) of the % of weight you are allowed to drop per week according to the Weight Calculations. I know some guys who fluctuate between weight classes could have some issue from week to week if they are to following the weight plan when additional pounds are added due to weather issues.

Edited by MattM

It may matter for the light weights come Sectionals at least due to the interpretation (they have varied) of the % of weight you are allowed to drop per week according to the Weight Calculations. I know some guys who fluctuate between weight classes could have some issue from week to week if they are to following the weight plan when additional pounds are added due to weather issues.

Doesn't matter nor affects their eligibility as long as they have their 6 qualified weigh in's with scratch weight. Say the person wrestles 120, weighs in for tournament this weekend at 125.7 to wrestle 126. They are still qualified and can wrestle 120 for sectionals as long as they already have their qualifying and scratch weight weigh-ins.

IHSAA needs to do some adjusting to the weight management program. Sounds like we as coaches are not sure exactly how the plan works. I am at the understanding that you only need 6 qualifying weigh ins, one at scratch weight and one weigh in during the month of January at the weight you plan on wrestling for the state tournament. In the above scenario your sectional weigh in does not technically have to be a qualifying weigh in Ex: kid weighs in at 125.6 a week before sectional then drops back down to 120 for the tournament. If he already has his qualifying weigh ins, a scratch weight at 120 and a January weigh in then he is good to go 120 for sectional. My guys weigh in at their sectional weight for the entire month of January so we rarely have any issues with these type of situations.

Doesn't matter nor affects their eligibility as long as they have their 6 qualified weigh in's with scratch weight. Say the person wrestles 120, weighs in for tournament this weekend at 125.7 to wrestle 126. They are still qualified and can wrestle 120 for sectionals as long as they already have their qualifying and scratch weight weigh-ins.

The way it was explained to me a few years back, the sectional weigh-in may not be about making a qualified weigh-in, but you still had to adhere to the weight management guidelines of 1.5% per week for wrestler safety reasons. This was a ref with many years experience that said this was the rules interpretation he was given, so I tend to take him at his word. However, since then I believe the refs were instructed (not sure by the IHSAA or Rules Committee) to no longer give an official response to none wrestling match rules interpretations. Those questions were to only be answered by the IHSAA.

The good news is it generally only comes up as a possible issue when someone (especially lightweights) is wrestling up a weight the weeks before and takes full advantage of the extra pounds he can gain. Or if their is the additional 2lb added due to no practice winter issues and a lightweight take all of those 2lbs.

I do know that several coaches have interpreted the meaning of this rule differently over the past few years. Some have even said the 1.5% is just based on the start of years body fat measurement calculation rather than a week to week assessment. But to ensure the wrestling gets to compete and the coach/AD doesn't get dinged by the IHSAA I'd rather error on the side of the 1.5% per week. Just letting your lightweights know they don't have to take advantage of every single 0.1lb of the 2lb weather allowance or if they know they are bumping up a weight class for the weekend usually takes care of any possible issues. Like I said in most cases this isn't an issue, but it could come up from time to time. I do know there have been a few coaches in the past the IHSAA has had to talk to about weight management issues due to their interpretation of this rule.

IHSAA needs to do some adjusting to the weight management program. Sounds like we as coaches are not sure exactly how the plan works.

Agreed. Very specific clarification would be helpful to ensure a wrestling or coach isn't hurt by the IHSAA for simply misunderstanding how the rules is applied. Edited by MattM

Let me see if I understand this correctly...it's basically a very vague rule that has a tremendous amount of gray area with very little to no IHSAA guidance/interpretation/precedent unless a coach calls a competitor on it? So a kid/coach can go to sectional thinking he's legit and not be questioned, wrestle, then get to regionals and be questioned and possibly ruled ineligible? Yikes. Sounds similar to the transfer policy. The fact that the thread is so long with coaches on it with various interpretations is scary.

Let me see if I understand this correctly...it's basically a very vague rule that has a tremendous amount of gray area with very little to no IHSAA guidance/interpretation/precedent unless a coach calls a competitor on it? So a kid/coach can go to sectional thinking he's legit and not be questioned, wrestle, then get to regionals and be questioned and possibly ruled ineligible? Yikes. Sounds similar to the transfer policy. The fact that the thread is so long with coaches on it with various interpretations is scary.

So, if a coach calls someone out because their interpretation is not the same as the other coach's interpretation, who then makes the final call?  Does the tournament director? The head official? Is the IHSAA called????

The referee's have nothing to do with weight verification, from the big dog himself during the rules interpretation at Fort Wayne earlier this year. We were instructed to not even ask them. Mr. Faulkens said himself it's not uncommon for teenagers to fluctuate 4 to 5 pounds per week. At Warsaw we have nothing to worry about because we don't have any kids cutting weight anyway.

Edited by warsawwrestling

I'm pretty sure that the program we enter the weight into is only looking for you being at or above the minimum weight as stated on your alpha weigh in. So as long as you are above that weight it's qualifying according to the program even though it might not be according to the rule.
So if your minimum weight is 125, and you go 125.4, 130, then back to 125.9 I think they would all be qualifying according to the program because I don't think it takes the 1.5%into account, it just looks for you being above that minimum weight. Anyone know if I'm correct or not on that?

Edited by buscowrestling

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.